Chevy 350 in a Toyota 4Runner

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Rache, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Rache

Rache Guest

I'm thinking about putting a 350 in my 86 Toyota 4Runner.

4Wheelparts makes a kit. Anyone here ever done it? Any problems after the transplant? Was it worth the money? Should I just buy a rebuilt 6? Should I sell my Toyota and buy another Blazer?

2. reido

reido New Member

I got a buddy who's thinking about doing the same. Well an 86 toyota pickup but same thing. I would say go for it. Very badass truck when your done. Everyone has a blazer with a V8 but a 4runner :cool:

3. avenger

avenger grammar and cereal nazi

:beer: and we do it

4. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

There's a late model S-Blazer for sale around here w/ a 350 in it and there's room, so if you can wedge it in there w/ room, you should be able to do it w/o a problem.

5. NoBatteries

NoBatteries Guest

It all depends on what you are going to use the truck for. If your into mudding and u need something to power some 48"s or something then go for it. Or if it's just a mall crawler then go for it.. but anything else you really don't need it.

Edit: Go with a 4.3 out of a chevy s10, or a 3.4 out of a tacoma.

6. DG PiMp

DG PiMp Guest

go 4.3

350 is a tight fit

either way you are going to have to go with a gm tranny

my friend just did a 4.3 swap. he had a bitch of a time with the smog rep and now it knocks like a mother fucker and he can't figure it out

7. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

That's definitely a cool idea - plus it's something that the punks would spooge over @ car shows when you roll in w/ your rig!

8. Rache

Rache Guest

That Supra Idea is :cool:

part of the reason I'm thinking of doing it is because the stock 22re is gutless. I have dreams of four-wheeling, but right now I can barely get up mild grades.

I actually bought the truck for a beat-around camping/paintball ride. I figured 4wd would be convienent since most the paintball parks are off the beaten path. that, and it'd be a bonus to have 4wd in the snow.

The bottom line is power. I don't tow stuff, I don't go off road much, but I tire at driving 35 up hills because my truck doesn't have a lot of power. It's got a body lift, and I plan on doing a suspesion lift eventually and putting some bigger tires (not 48s, for god's sake), so I know I'll need the power then.

Thanks for your help.

9. Dibblev1.0

Dibblev1.0 Guest

That swap has been down many time.

I have a 89 toyota pick up with a 383 in it. Well my dad does but I helped. :big grin:

10. kaxfenix

kaxfenix Guest

SOme things to keep in mind if you go V8..... You will need to replace both the front and rear axles ( might as well chop the IFS ), The Pinion on the rear for the toyoa 8" will not last to long under that kind of torque. The toyota IFS Diff will just die under any pressure while 4 wheeling .. Those IFS CV joints can barely hold up with a locked front diff.

You best bet is to go with a Dana 60 in the rear ( can go 44 but might as well go big ) and a 44 strait alxe up front... There are kits to do this as well. With Hy steer Etc.

You will need to replace the 5spd or auto tranny. The XFER case is a rock but the tranny will not hold .. I would go with a NV4500 for strength and over all low stock craw ratio.

As for the vortec 4.3 6cyn. Swap, you can get away witht he toyota Rear axle, but the front is still weak as shit ..

Hell just chop your IFS off anyways.. As for Tranny etc .. still go witht he nv4500 auto.

11. Kyoso

Kyoso New Member

4x4wire.com has all the answers to any swap for the 4Runner. I like the early '90's supra swap myself. Keep it all Toyota. :bigthumb: