Chevrolet Volt News and Discussion

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by TriShield, Jan 19, 2007.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Green Beat: GM Jolted by Chevrolet Volt Buzz

[​IMG]
    There's high-wattage public interest in the Chevrolet Volt electric concept that was displayed at the Detroit auto show, GM says.

Date posted: 01-18-2007
    DETROIT — Call them love letters to the Chevrolet Volt.

But General Motors apparently has been besieged by consumers who want to get their hands on a production version of the electric concept that was unveiled last week at the North American International Auto Show.

Writing in GM's Fastlane blog, Beth Lowery, GM environment and energy vice president, said the Volt's fans have been flooding the automaker with lots of ideas. Among them are suggestions to build a high-performance version and to get it "into production within two years while keeping the price under $30K."

Lowery says, "It's a little early to talk in detail about the specific applications beyond the Volt or about a specific time frame for its release, but we believe E-Flex is a very versatile technology that could be right for general applications."

Lowery took on critics of the Detroit automaker, especially those who castigated the company for its dead EV1 program. "I can understand why people are skeptical," Lowery said. "All I can tell you is that we recognize the role that electricity will play in future cars — that's why we've worked so hard to bring you the Volt.

"But we do not believe that electric cars are the only answer," she continued. "We believe there are a number of solutions to ending our dependence on oil, and we are working on many of them simultaneously, including hydrogen fuel cells, clean diesel, FlexFuel and hybrids. And we have designed the E-Flex system for the Volt so it can be coupled with motors using any of these fuel sources."

What this means to you: GM hears you loud and clear and plans to make absolutely sure you won't be seeing any movies called Who Killed the Volt?

[​IMG]

2. bokhan

bokhan i love you

3. Urinal Mint

Urinal Mint bourbon afficionado

Down with Ethanol.

4. mucky

mucky .

I like the concept of the powertrain, but one ugly car.

5. up|dn

up|dn ಠ_ಠ

so all it takes for environmentally friendly products is a combination of a company on the verge of bankruptcy and WHAT CONSUMERS WANT.

whodathunkit?

6. Inti

Inti OT Supporter

meh

7. RandomDead

RandomDead Have your pets spayed or neutered

Fuck GM, they're not at all interested in reducing our dependence on oil. They had an economical, good performing, and reliable electric vehicle in the EV-1 and they forcefully rounded up every single one ever produced and CRUSHED THEM.

8. Josey

Josey New Member

man, someone was smokin some good shit when they designed that ugly thing

9. Derek

Derek OT Supporter

:cool: I'm all for it.

Link to article? :hs:

edit: n/m, I found it :o

10. TriShield

Moron. :hsugh:

11. Tsu Doh Nihm

Tsu Doh Nihm Active Member

Looks gay as fuck.

12. SaintGRW

SaintGRW OT Supporter

13. Aviv

Aviv OT Supporter

Who gives a shit about electric cars. Put a hybrid biodiesel in it, and I'll want it.

14. tommyortom

tommyortom New Member

That is not true. There is one just chillin in a building at my school (College for Creative Studies in Detroit). It is mint. There is probably one at the Heritage Center at the Tech Center in Warren also, I think I remember seeing one there when I got to go there.

[​IMG]

15. RICKIEFRAT

RICKIEFRAT La Cosa Nostra

DOT

16. tommyortom

tommyortom New Member

I have a feeling that either someone who graduated from my school did design work on it, or an instructor at my school....either way, it is pretty gross. people are always getting inside of it and taking pictures ahaha.

17. Jumpem

Jumpem OT Supporter

Is it all electric or a hybrid?

I'm in if it's electric only and can manage 150 miles at a time. And I love the short overhangs. I hate overhangs too far beyond the wheels.

18. shiba

shiba Active Member

its all electric.

19. August Burns

August Burns New Member

E85 is a joke

20. TriShield

Under Development - Suppliers work on lithium ion batteries for GM

[​IMG]

By AUTOMOTIVE NEWS
    AutoWeek | Published 01/18/07, 2:56 pm et

With two hybrids launched and two more coming this year, General Motors is turning up the voltage on its plans to electrify future powertrains.

GM recently announced a production plug-in version of the Saturn Vue as well as the Chevrolet Volt concept, a series hybrid that uses a gasoline engine to recharge a lithium ion battery pack. The lightweight batteries are common in consumer electronics. In the auto industry, the batteries are more expensive than nickel-metal hydride batteries, but they have higher voltage and more energy density.

GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz says the Volt stands a good chance at making production around 2010 - if lithium ion battery technology continues to evolve. GM has awarded two development contracts to battery suppliers. One went to Cobasys LLC, the supplier on the Saturn Aura hybrid. Cobasys and a partner, A123Systems, best known for making the lithium ion batteries for Black & Decker power tools, are working on the GM contract. Scott Lindholm, vice president for systems engineering at Cobasys, spoke with Automotive News Staff Reporter Richard Truett at the Detroit auto show.

Cobasys is set up to manufacture nickel-metal hydride batteries, and A123Systems makes lithium batteries. How will the two companies work together on the GM contract?

A123 is the cell supplier. We are using their lithium ion phosphate technology. They are a very good company with very good technology. GM evaluated them as well. But they don't have integration experience. We do. So, we thought it was a logical fit. If we need to evaluate lithium in a full systems solution, with our systems capability and their battery technology, we would come together in a partnership.

So will A123 manufacture the batteries, and you'll assemble them into ready-to-install packs?

We are still talking about that. But, obviously, they are the cell producer, and they are already in high volume production in China with plans for expansion. Our business is integration. We can integrate any (battery) technology.

In speaking with some of GM's hybrid engineers, I get the impression that GM will design the batteries and choose the internal chemistry and then just hire companies to build the batteries to GM specs. Is that correct?

I am not sure GM is going to come up with the specs for the chemistry. They are going to develop the performance and (durability) requirement specs. The chemistry is really sort of an immaterial thing as long as the batteries perform safely and effectively. Depending on the car, whether it is the Chevrolet Volt or some other configuration of electric drive...GM will come up with the performance spec, and it will be our job to meet it.

Will lithium ion batteries replace nickel-metal in all hybrids?

Not necessarily. It's all going to boil down to cost, performance, packaging issues and what's available at the time. Some applications, certainly, will prefer lithium because of its energy and power density. And in a lot of applications nickel-metal hydride will be perfectly acceptable. Nickel-metal hydride is here now. It works. It's safe. It's reliable. But, on this program, GM is stretching out and wants to look at lithium as being an answer for a plug-in hybrid.

Will lithium ion batteries be produced in North America? Or are they going to be like any other commodity and be sourced from the lowest-cost country?

There are reasons for sourcing them in North America, such as security. But that's something the market is going to have to sort out. I am not a good predictor of that. But, obviously, from a cost standpoint, producing them in the Far East and China is pretty attractive.

Realistically, what's your best guess when lithium ion batteries will be ready for hybrid vehicles?

I wish I knew. The best answer I can give you is that after we do this development program with GM and really have a look at packaging up the system for a vehicle, we'll have a much better idea whether it will work and if it is safe. Obviously, no one is going to put out a product that is not safe.

21. zeldafan564

zeldafan564 New Member

Ford and Dalmer are closer to bankruptcy than GM...

Hell GM is nowhere near bankruptcy. Sure they aren't selling as many vehicle, but they got their game back this year and will definetly see their number's climb.

22. High Voltage

High Voltage Guest

:rofl:

23. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

This could be good, if they fix the styling, the thought of high-powered hybrids goes down well.

24. Light Speed

Light Speed Guest

ford is about to profit in 2 years, you're wrong

25. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

They just posted their biggest loss. But you would hope there going to profit sometime soon, it is the point of business.