Chest exercises without a bench or machine

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by gimp, Dec 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gimp

gimp man put down my papaya OT Supporter

so im on winter break right now. it's only 3 weeks long and i dont want to spend money for a gym membership. the onnly equipment i have are adjustable dumbbells and adjustable barbell. what chest exercises can i do?

2. cls

cls Though I have fallen, I will rise. Though I sit in

Pushups (various hand positions, throw some weight in a backpack for more resistance).

Dips.

3. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

Weighted pushups - get someone to sit on your back

4. amdspitfire

amdspitfire New Member

wear a backpack with weights/books in it

5. bigphil

bigphil New Member

this is what I will be doing, textbooks are good for something at least

6. Alt+F4

Alt+F4 official OT hockey stud

For chest?

Anyways, I suggest this:

Slide Push-up

This is one of the best chest building exercises I've ever come across, and very few people even know about it! The slide push-up applies resistance to the horizontal adduction action of the pectorals.

To perform this exercise you must first go to the local discount exercise equipment store and purchase one of those "slides" you used to see on every 2-AM fitness infomercial. You know, the one where the hot fitness bunny wears "booties" and slides side to side while you stare at her in a slow-digesting protein trance? The slide should be relatively cheap since they're no longer the latest fad device (look for one piled in the back corner of the store next to the Thigh Master and ab crunching garbage). Your gym's aerobics studio may also have some lying around.

(Note: Slide push-ups can also be performed on a linoleum or wood floor with a small towel under each hand.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Put the "booties" on your hands (or towels under your hands) and assume a traditional push-up position where your body is perpendicular to the slide. Your hands should be slightly wider than shoulder width apart. Lower yourself until your chest touches the slide, then push up while simultaneously pulling the hands together. At the top position, the thumbs should almost be touching.

Next, "walk" your hands out to the original starting position (hands slightly wider than shoulder width) and continue for the prescribed repetitions. If you're advanced, "push" your hands out to the starting position instead of "walking" them out. For this exercise, it is best to increase the reps first. Once you can perform 10 sets of 5 reps, increase the load (add weight).

Increase the load of this exercise by wearing an X-Vest or similar. (See T-mag's review of the X-Vest here.) If you don't have one, buy one. If you just can't afford one, have a partner place a plate on your upper back between your shoulder blades. Go easy on the load at first!

7. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

floor press

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.