Chest and Shoulders or Chest and Back?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Intellex, Oct 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Intellex

Intellex Dogs love me cause I'm crazy sniffable OT Supporter

I have to do a 3 day split between Chest/back/legs/shoulders

Legs have their own day, Which other two should I group together for effectiveness or should I switch it up?

Any recommendations?

:x:

2. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

I've done chest and triceps, chest and back, never chest and shoulders before though...

The only problem I have with chest and back is on chest day I do a lot of heavy pressing and on back day its a lot of heavy rows, DLs, etc. If you can do both on one day then go for it, but its rough.

If I miss a workout or know I can't make it to the gym for back day I'll do them together but I usually have to lower the volume and weight.

3. Spaulding Smails

Spaulding Smails Real Estate Guru

agreed.... too many muscles there...Chest and shoulders is hard because my triceps will burnout before i get a good shoulder workout..

When i first started working out hard i coupled legs and chest on a 2hr sesh... i threw up pretty bad, got lightheaded and had to lie on the mat for a bit to get my senses back

4. Drewski

Drewski New Member

When I did those kinds of splits, I usually did back/bi, chest/tri, leg/shoulder.

Or maybe break up your shoulders routine. Work your psoterior delts on back day, and your anterior and medial delts on chest day.

5. Filmboy44

Filmboy44 Guest

chest and back ftw

6. Intellex

Intellex Dogs love me cause I'm crazy sniffable OT Supporter

Really?

:coold:

7. Filmboy44

Filmboy44 Guest

yes. its common sense really...no offense.

If you're going to do two pushing movements you're going to be using the same muscle supports for both. Chest and shoulders...you're overloading your shoulders when you bench and do other movements, thus not applying as much resistance to your chest as you should be and it will become under developed over time.

vise versa as well.

by doing it with back, you're giving your chest and tris a rest and stretch when doing back movements...also...as an added bonus ...if you decide to do back first in the order, lets say you do a set of chins and work those lats. That is going to be ready to support a little bit more weight when you go and do your chest/bench. Your lats are used for support when you do bench, as we all know. So by having them pumped and ready instead of cold youre going to be using and controlling a bit more weight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.