Chef's help me make an awesome snack

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Bobsbarricades, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobsbarricades

Bobsbarricades New Member

I'm a college student and live off campus. I bike to school and prepare lunches in a zippy to eat on campus. I tried to make some protein bars but they ended up like a porridge that had to stay cold to maintain shape so I wanted to try and make something I bake so that it keeps it's shape. Here's my first attempt

2 1/2 cup oatmeal (I blended 2 cups of it a little)
    1/2 cup whole wheat flour
    1/4 cup apple sauce
    1 whole egg
    1 egg white
    1 tbsp honey
    6 scoops protein powder
    1 cup organic soy milk

Mix all your stuff together (I added milk last) and stir to euqal consistancy. Preheat oven to 350, take out and enjoy after cutting into 8 equal servings.

Protein - 29.125g Carbos - 34.875g (fiber - 3.31g) Fat - 4g Cal - 287

Turns out it ended up more like bread...which is good I guess. It tastes kind of boring though, like a boring chocolatey bread. Suggestions on improving flavor? texture?

2. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

more fat and sugar is how you make somethign taste better, what sort of texture do you want.

3. Bobsbarricades

I don't know, I'm open really. A crunchy texture I wouldn't imagine possible without mountains of fat from nuts. less dry I think would be nice

4. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Peanut butter, nuts, cinnamon, instant coffee, dried fruits, etc...

5. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Maybe there would be something possible if you add sugar free pudding but you'll have to play with the amount of liquid. You can add the pudding and add liquid until it makes a nicely looking batter, I dunno.

6. Bobsbarricades

well I really like my protein carb balance, what sort of fatty things can I add to make it less dry? butter?

7. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

I would suggest trying to put the oatmeal in a cofee grinder, get it fine, and use alot less, try some more apple sauce and maybee soem splenda, possibly add a little coco to make it more chocolatey and a teaspoon of vanilla. maybee another egg too.
    the puding may help too.

8. Bobsbarricades

yea I hear alot about the pudding. I will try some next time. I don't have access to a coffee grinder though, but what happens to the oatmeal when I grind it? don't I lose fiber?

What if I cut out the 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup oatmeal. Add 1/4 cup apple sauce and 1/2 cup of the pudding powder? I think that might work. I will let you know when I make another batch. It'll probably be next week

9. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

You can add oil (olive oil, coconut oil maybe) or just some dairy to liquify it a bit (cottage cheese in the blender, yogurt). I'm not sure how it'll end up though.
    Maybe sprinkle pieces of coconut on it.
    There's a protein bar thread here and on bodybuidling.com too, you can check it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.