Checksum Error Message

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DouBLeJ16, Mar 11, 2004.

1. DouBLeJ16

DouBLeJ16 Guest

I have a ECS Elitegroup motherboard model #: P6S5AT. I have all of the recommended bios updates directly off of there website. I board accepts a processor up to 1.4GHz.

I currently have a Celeron 1.2GHz processor. If I set the processor to run at 800MHz everything is fine and it runs great with no error messages at all. If I set the processor for 1.2GHz (100MHz x 12 in the bios, because it has a crappy 100MHz fsb) I receive an error message that says "Checksum Failure. The executable is corrupt! Please obtain a new copy." No more information is given and the only thing I can click on is "OK".

I have windows XP pro with SP1, 768MB of PC133 RAM. And again, I have *0* problems running at 800MHz. Does anyone know what might be causing this? Any advice would be great.

I searched of google and found a few board with the motherboard battery but the error message they were receiving said "checksum CMOS error" which is different from what I'm getting. And I highly doubt that's the problem with I have no issues on 800MHz.

-Joe

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

How bout using a different BIOS update?

3. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo Guest

Same thing happens to me all the time when I overclock too far. :o
    Just refresh/update the BIOS.

4. DouBLeJ16

DouBLeJ16 Guest

5. 5Gen_Prelude

When you're running it at 800 - it's 8x100 right? What happens at 9,10 and 11? Same thing?

6. DouBLeJ16

DouBLeJ16 Guest

No, It's running at 66 x 3 and the motherboard will automatically set it to 800MHz (I guess it's PnP). When I have it set like this I have no problems at all.

If I set the processor to 100 x 12 (or even 100 x 3) it will read the processor as 1200MHz, but the checksum error message then comes up.

7. 5Gen_Prelude

I just looked up your motherboard and it only supports Celerons up to 800 MHz. On top of that, it only supports 66 FSB with Celerons, so that would mean you would have to keep it at 66 and have the multiplyer set at 12 for 800 and 18 for 1200 for it to even have a chance of working.

8. DouBLeJ16

DouBLeJ16 Guest

Prelude, That's why I decided to update the bios. If you look at the link I provided in my previous post it shows that one of the updates allows processors up to 1.4GHz (Celerons included).

And another thing, the multiplier only goes to 16, and it I put it to 66 x 16, it reads the processor as 800MHz.

9. 5Gen_Prelude

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see where it says Celerons included.

10. DouBLeJ16

DouBLeJ16 Guest

Believe me, it does.

Click on the link up there ^^^

11. 5Gen_Prelude

I still don't see it. I see 1.4 which I'm 99.99% sure applies to the PIII's that it also supports. It's clear that the board supports a different maximum of speeds for PIII's and Celerons, and that FSB is limited to 66 for Celerons. A simple patch is not going to allow for Celerons that are 75% faster than the stock limit.

Anyway, the point is that you can't set the clock to 1200 anyway. The most you could get out of it would be 1066, but it's limiting you to 800 since that's all it supports.

12. DouBLeJ16

DouBLeJ16 Guest

It says 1.4, it doesn't say celeron or P3's so how are you 99.99% sure it applys to P3?

Prelude, thanks for the advice but you're missing the actually problem. And not to be a dick but nothing you're telling me is actually helping me solve anything. So I'll just wait for someone else to reply that might know a little more about th is issue. :bigthumb:

13. 5Gen_Prelude

Your problem is it doesn't work at 1200. Well, I've told you why. I'm 99.99% sure of this. Your solution to problem is to remain at 800, buy a PIII at 1.4 GHz, or buy another MB that supports your Celeron (which I'm guessing was actually designed for 100 MHz FSB).

But what do I know, I've only been building computers for several years... :rolleyes:

14. DouBLeJ16

DouBLeJ16 Guest

Like I said, thanks for the advice. But what you're saying is a guess, a guess you're 99.99% sure of. It says with the update the motherboard can handle up to a 1.4GHz processor (it doesn't say P3 or celeron), so you're *GUESSING* that it's only supporting P3's.

Wow, building computers for several years? Congrats, you must feel so special. :slap:

15. 5Gen_Prelude

Actually I'm not really guessing, I know that the board only supports 66 MHz FSB for Celerons, and Celerons only go up to 800 or 1000 MHz at that rate. So why would a board support a 1.4 Celeron at 66 if they don't exist?

Anyway, you clearly want to hear that there's a no cost solution to your problem.

16. DouBLeJ16

DouBLeJ16 Guest

Prelude, ONCE AGAIN, thanks for the help, but most of the stuff you're telling me is in the motherboard manual. When I bought the motherboard it could only support 66MHz FSBs for celerons, which I understand from reading the book and you saying over and over. Recently they came out with an upgrade so I can use my 1.2GHz 100MHzFSB Celeron processor on that board.

And yes, I'd like to hear that there's a no cost solution, who wouldn't want to hear that? I am aware that may not happen, but I'd like to hear some more opinions other then yours (yes even Canadians can be wrong sometimes :big grin:)

17. 5Gen_Prelude

Can Prelude owners be wrong too? :rolleyes:

:uh: Whatever dude, I suggest you contact them for the direct answer. When you get your answer back that they increased the PIII limit to 1.4 but left the Celeron limit the same, let us know.

18. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

19. DouBLeJ16

DouBLeJ16 Guest

:rofl: Any suggestions Steve? I know you know what you're talking about. :x:

20. DouBLeJ16

DouBLeJ16 Guest

No, there's another word for honda owners. :o

21. 5Gen_Prelude

Yeah, people with low repair bills and high resale value cars. Oh, and a C&D 10 Best Award winner to boot. You're like the guy that insisted that all he had to do was find an RJ11-RJ45 connector for his modem so he could hook up to his network but couldn't understand why he couldn't find one.

Or the guy who just couldn't fucking figure out this riddle:

3 men go to a hotel and check in and spend 30 bucks on the room shared equally between them. The hotel owner realized after the fact that he overcharged them by 5 dollars. So he gives the bellhop 5 buck to give to the men. On the way up he realizes that you can't split 5 dollars evenly so he pockets 2 and gives 1 dollar to the each of the men. So each man paid 9 dollars for their room, for a total of 27 dollars (3*9). The bellhop kept 2, so where's the other dollar (27+2=29 not 30)?

22. DouBLeJ16

DouBLeJ16 Guest

*cough*computer&programming*cough*

Wow, I think I hate every canadian I've ever talked/typed to. what's that all aboot? :rofl:

23. 5Gen_Prelude

I think I've shown incredible patience to someone who came here for help and has since given me grief about my nationality and my car choice, which by the way have nothing to do with this forum. After informing you several times why it cannot be done with reasoning and logic, you still reject the answer I've provided. You'll notice that no one has actually piped in with an alternative solution which, more than likely, is because they either a) agree with me, b) don't have one, or c) simply don't want to help someone who doesn't want to see the light.

But wait, I just made a succinct point, better respond by dipping into the insult bag and roll out the emoticons...

24. DouBLeJ16

DouBLeJ16 Guest

It's pretty fun watching you get all worked up aboot this. :rofl:

25. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

$30 - 5 (what the owner gives to bell hop) $25
    $5 - 2 ($2 is what the owner takes) $3
    $2 for the bellhop $2

total: $25+$3+$2

and i looked into the board too and Prelude is right. now mods please lock this thread before more flaming goes on.