Checking out a GTI tomorrow... opinions/comments? *pics too*

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by epitaph, Apr 19, 2004.

1. epitaph

epitaph Exorcizamus te, omnis immundus spiritus.

I ask because I've had Mustangs all of my driving life and know next to nothing about VWs. :o I know there are a bunch of GTI related threads but I don't think they deal with the 4 cylinder model, so I'm wondering how good they are next to the VR6, etc, and how good of a deal this is. The car sparked my interest because I've been noticing there aren't a hell of a lot of decent GTI's on the market around here.

Anyway it's a '97, has 92k miles on the clock, which seems kinda high to me. How well are they known to hold up past 100? Are there any other reliability issues to note? I haven't asked the guy any questions yet, the ad mentions:

1997 Volkswagen Golf GTI

92000 mi.
    $5500

Description: This is a 1997 VW golf 2dr 5sp 4cyl. Sunroof, ac/heat & all the basics. Now hear are the goodies.It has ABT 16 rims,hella euro projector headlights,smoked tailights & Markers, ABT grill,performance suspension,performance exhaust, intake, neuspeed shifter,rear .strut brace,rear deck spoiler. Runs & Looks Great

Pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any input is appreciated! :big grin:

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

If it's a 4-cylinder, I'm assuming that it's the 1.8 turbo engine (VW ppls correct me if I'm wrong here). From what I've heard it's a great engine, lots of tuning potential. VW's are notorious for electronics issues (power window regulators and such).

3. TurboDerek

TurboDerek My favorite meal is horsemeat and rice.

you are looking a 2.0 8valve. I would not get it. That car is the same as standard golf but with gti suspension and brakes.

4. LBKornhusker

LBKornhusker Muscular cyborg German dude dances with sexy Frenc

You might also want to be careful, because if it has all those mods, it's probably been driven pretty hard. I don't know many people that mod and don't test it out, especially with 92K miles.

Plus, the wing(s) and exhaust look kinda silly to me. ;)

5. epitaph

Thanks guys.

Derek - I'm not so concerned with the performance of the car I mean, I know it's not the VR6 and it's just the 2.0 engine, I can live with that. Chances are the 2.8 is out of my price range anyway, and like I said there's absolutely nothing on the market around here. My main concerns are the reliability of the car and/or engine.

Kornhusker - thanks for the advice there. The guy just called me back actually. He's only had it since December but needs to sell it for a 4 door (new baby in the family). He said the only other previous owner did the mods, so I can't even be sure how it was driven then. He did say however that he Carfaxed it, and it was religiously brought to the dealership for maintenance. He said the car's tight, clutch is strong and has been good to him for 5 months so I :dunno: I guess I'll find out Wednesday

As for the wing and exhaust (and headlights), if I were to get this car they'd be sold off for stock parts pronto. :big grin:

6. vr6ofpain

vr6ofpain Guest

ok two things. they never sold the 1.8t on the mk3 cars. yes this is a 2.0 and they are called 2.slows for a reason. im not trying to hate, but it is much slower than a VR6. also you said electrical issues, then mentioned the regulators? when they fail it is a mechanical problem. i replaced one myself. the motor doesnt have issues, it works fine. it is just the regulator itself mechanically cant hold the window up. it wears out.

and btw. the rear regulators(the ones that commonly fail) are $90 a piece at the dealer and take less than 1 hour to repair by oneself(you dont need to be mechanic to replace them. quite easy actually.

7. DiScoTeknix

DiScoTeknix Guest

you are not concerned with the performance? You will be once you get a 2.0:big grin: If a 90hp FF euro car is your thing then go ahead, but in my opinion you be better off spending a couple thousand more on a vr6, you will NOT regret it. The sound alone is enough to make you feel all warm and fuzzy. check www.vwvortex.com for more info if you haven't already.

8. Zardoz

Zardoz Guest

Get a VR6

9. epitaph

Fuckin' A man. I drove the thing. I've accelerated faster riding a tricycle.

Shows how much I know. :rofl: Anyway, the experience sorta made me sad about owning something other than a Mustang, so I'm after another one. I suppose I really am true Ford nazi. :o

10. DiScoTeknix

DiScoTeknix Guest

hahaha... takes forced induction to get a 2.0 up to speed. If you dig mustangs that much than for sure get another one... 2 doors, 8 cylinders, rear drive, can't go wrong. :big grin: