MMA Checking leg kicks

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by konrad109, Dec 19, 2006.

1. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

I finally joined a gym again. I was sparring with a friend and I checked a couple of his roundhouses. Now I got a nice big bulge on there. Should I ice it, heat it, or just leave it the hell alone?

Also do I wait till the swelling goes down before sparring again? It doesn't seem like a good idea to get kicked there again with all that fluid still in there.

2. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

Rest
    Ice
    Compression
    Elevation

• Rest. Rest and protect the injured or sore area. Stop, change, or take a break from any activity that may be causing your pain or soreness.
    • Ice. Cold will reduce pain and swelling. Apply an ice or cold pack immediately to prevent or minimize swelling. Apply the ice or cold pack for 10 to 20 minutes, 3 or more times a day. After 48 to 72 hours, if swelling is gone, apply heat to the area that hurts. Do not apply ice or heat directly to the skin. Place a towel over the cold or heat pack before applying it to the skin.
    • Compression. Compression, or wrapping the injured or sore area with an elastic bandage (such as an Ace wrap), will help decrease swelling. Don't wrap it too tightly, since this can cause more swelling below the affected area. Loosen the bandage if it gets too tight. Signs that the bandage is too tight include numbness, tingling, increased pain, coolness, or swelling in the area below the bandage. Talk to your health professional if you think you need to use a wrap for longer than 48 to 72 hours; a more serious problem may be present.
    • Elevation. Elevate the injured or sore area on pillows while applying ice and anytime you are sitting or lying down. Try to keep the area at or above the level of your heart to help minimize swelling.''
    http://health.yahoo.com/ency/healthwise/tw4354spec

I know what you mean, I had a bruise like that also on my shin but I went back, probably not the smartest idea but it did go away eventually and I didn't notice the pain while I was training (which doesn't mean I didn't notice it after training though).

3. metallikatz56

metallikatz56 New Member

If you keep training without giving adequate rest, it'll prolong healing, but won't to any serious damage. It's all a matter of your ability to handle the pain, during and after (it sucks when you get home and the adrenaline wears off). Ice in between, 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off.