Checking files for viruses before backup question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Marcos, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Marcos

Marcos OT Supporter

I just received my DVD-rewriter, planning on backing-up 40GB+ of data. I know for a fact the computer that the data is on has plenty of crap on it like spyware and many some viruses.

Whats the best way to make sure the files dont carry the virus over onto the back-up? I want to back-up, then re-install windows, start from scratch, but not lose all my data etc.

2. Marcos

Marcos OT Supporter

Yeah...

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Well let's see, what kind of things are you trying to back up? I mean viruses don't hang around "data" files, and if they do, they aren't harmful by themselves. Every file on your computer is either run (ie Word, IE, Media Player), or a data or document file (a .doc file for example). You've heard of doc files having hidden macros that will destroy your HD - they're completely safe unless you actually run them within word. Open them up in wordpad and they won't do a thing. So with that in mind, all programs that could be infected with a virus are going to be reinstalled from the original CD's, so no need to back those up. All data files that could be infected with a virus, but are benign until you run them with their associated program, can be backed up without cleaning. So what you could do is back them up, clean them with a virus program, back them up again. Reinstall progies, put back the clean data files. Your "dirty" backup can be used if the cleaning ruined a file.

Things to back up before getting rid of windows are:

- favorites folder
    - desktop items
    - desktop wallpaper if you want it
    - my documents
    - saved games
    - mail
    - etc

The majority of these can be found under Documents And Settings but some older programs still place files where they want to. My advice is simply to ghost the drive, store it on DVD or another HD, reinstall and then you can unghost anything you're missing.

4. Marcos

Marcos OT Supporter

Ok, thanks, i dont know much about viruses so i dont know their behaviour.

What scanning program would you suggest? Im using AVG and Housecall, will that pretty much do the job?

5. 5Gen_Prelude

I don't want to get into my rant but I don't have any running. If you're just cleaning for the sake of cleaning, I wouldn't go overboard - if you're doing it because you have a virus then you might want to find out what it does and go from there.

6. Marcos

Marcos OT Supporter

No virus, just re-installing my brother's system and going to teach him how to keep it tidy etc. I was just making sure i wasnt going to format and install, then have some viruses or problems come back when i put the files back on.

I'll just do 2 or 3 scans and that'll be it.

Howcome your not a mod here yet? You've helped me with most the problems i post on here

7. 5Gen_Prelude

They gotta keep us Canadians down :cool:

No one ever asked :dunno: