Check Wireless N connection?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by fridexter, Jun 23, 2008.

1. fridexter

fridexter Active Member

I purchased a Time Capsule and just set it up today. I set it in mixed mode so that way guests in the future can connect on Wireless G if necessary. At the moment though, I'm curious to see if my iMac and MacBook are indeed connecting at Wireless N speeds. (note: I have wireless N enabled for both computers).

How do I go about checking that I am indeed connecting on a Wireless N connection?

2. TheDarkHorizon

TheDarkHorizon \xC0\xFF\xEE

I know there must be a better way than this, but you can probe this information from your router if you enable SNMP. Then you can run:

snmpwalk -v 2c -c public -M /usr/share/snmp/mibs:$HOME/share/mibs -m+AIRPORT-BASESTATION-3-MIB 10.0.1.1 1.3.6.1.4.1.63.501 | grep wirelessRate

Replace 10.0.1.1 with your router's IP address or hostname. Then match with your wireless card's MAC address.

3. inkblot78

inkblot78 New Member

Hold down option and click the Airport icon in menubar. The "transmit rate" will let you know the speed of the connection. 802.11G is 54, while 802.11N is 270. If you're in mixed mode, it will run slower, like 170.

4. Jacen2141

Jacen2141 New Member

cool feature about the option click.....did not know this.....thanks :cool:

5. gameover

gameover New Member

Sorry about bringing this back from the dead, i just checked mine and the transmit rate is at 117. Any suggestions?

6. inkblot78

inkblot78 New Member

It will jump up and down, but:

a) if you're running an 802.11N network that is B/G compatible, B/G devices can slow the network down (which would explain your transmit rate).

b) if you have another device on your network that is synching (such as an Apple TV) or backing up (like a Time Capsule), it can slow the other devices.

c) if you're running in WDS, it will split the bandwidth, so 270 /2 = 135 potential transmit rate.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  7. mad_vtak

mad_vtak Active Member