check out a website i just made..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by crotchfruit, Dec 30, 2003.

1. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

http://www.grouptab.com

i've been playing around with the idea for a long time. i got the idea from my college days, when my roommates had to organize who would pay for bills and how we would pay them back.

basically, grouptab takes care of all the debt calculation for any group of people who have to share bills. it acts sort of like a bar tab, so that you can pay for the bills in the way most convenient to you (e.g. just have one person pay all the bills) and then, after as many bills as you want, it will calculate exactly what everyone owes each other to settle the balances. it allieviates the need to split up every bill, every time.

it's perfect for roommates, but can be applied to other group scenarios as well (e.g. if you have a group of coworkers who always go out to lunch together.)

best of all, it's free :eek3:

the backend is typical php+mysql. took me about a month of after-normal-job coding to get to this point.. if you can make use this, please try it out (i want feedback :)) you can read the online tutorial for more information, or just go ahead and register/create a group.

let me know what you think. definately let me know if something is confusing, and what i can do make it less confusing :wiggle:

2. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Two thumbs up! Looks great - nice and professional. I've got a friend of mine who may give it a whirl...

3. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

thanks :) let me know if he finds any bugs! also.. do you know of any "new site web portal", or somewhere that i can post the url for other random people to check out?

4. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Maybe put it in the newspaper near the "roommate wanted" section or something :dunno:

5. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

i was thinking about that, but since i'm not making any money it's hard to justify spending cold hard cash on this :p i just thought it'd be cool if in say, a year, it's so popular that i can go on talk shows, etc as the grouptab creator :joshers:

maybe i'll go post flyers around berkeley and stanford.

6. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

There is always a quick post on dmoz... :dunno:

7. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

Pretty cool idea. :bigthumb:

8. damaja

damaja New Member

cool idea.

just one suggestion. when i click on "forums", the banner disappears. i know there is a link to go to the main page but it would be more consistent if the banner did not disappear.

9. carlin

carlin Guest

During the registration, I entered no email address ... so I didn't get the confirmation email.
    Anyways when I tried to login, I get thrown back to the index page without an explaination off what went wrong...

Also in the contact page, the feedback field accepts empty values...

10. you should have only one set of login fields and buttons ... navigation should rarely be based on login, it should be based on user/group page or element-level permission structures ...

11. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

ya, i know what you're saying. the thing is that i just used phpBB for the forum, and didn't really put any time toward intergrating it with the rest of the site. i'm just going to remove the forum until i get around to making it look correct.

good catch... ok, i'm going to put an error msg for the email address if none is entered.

i know what's wrong with the no-warning-on-bad-login.. i had changed the login field to redirect you after it processed (so a page reload wouldn't ask to reload the post values), but i forgot to pass on a failed login condition to the redirect. i'll get on that tonight.

i know what you're saying about having two logins on the screen, but the reason why i have both is that you don't have to have a user account to view a group. the purpose of logging in is so that the site knows you're a group administrator and can change/add things. then, the administrator can tell all the other people in the group what the group name and password are.. so all they have to do is enter those in the "view group" box and see the information without going through the perceived hassle of signing up.

i don't know how else to enable this functionality without having both boxes on the page. i didn't want to make users go to another page to sign in.

can you explain "navigation should rarely be based on login, it should be based on user/group page or element-level permission structures" a little better? i'm not sure how else to do it other than making people login.

12. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

p.s. about the two login fields: if you login as a user, you don't have to enter the groupname/password for your groups every time. the site knows which groups your user account is registered with, and will list them automatically on the left navbar, so you just click on the names instead of having to type them in.

maybe this clears up the confusion if you thought that you had to enter the groupname/password even if you had logged in.

13. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

:coold: I think I'll get my roommates to start using this :o

14. yes, people need to login. however, in order to view a group, each member of the group should have a username and password .. they login with those and can see their group or group(s). the administrator logs in and can see/administer their group or group(s). I would avoid a generic "group login" as you seem to have put in place ... simply have every user or viewer with a username and password, some usernames having admin privs, some usernames having only viewing privs ... that make more sense?

15. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

i'm just afraid that people would be discouraged from using the site if everyone in the group had to make an account just to view it.

as it stands now, the site can do what you say. that is, let's say you create a group. you now are the admin and are automatically joined to the group. now every time you go to grouptab.com, you will see your group listed in a "your group list" box. then one of your roommates goes and makes an account. that account can join the group by putting in the name and password of the group too.. so it is also a member of the group. the next time that user logs in, he will also see the group automatically listed on the left menu under the "your group list" box (which is invisible if you are not logged in or have no groups.)

so it basically does what you say, except that it has an extra box for anonymous users to view groups if they know the password. i guess it may be scary to see two login boxes, but i think if people are interested in using the site it's just a small meme-hurdle to jump.

16. you don't need a fullblown account ... just have the admin assign a simple username and password. they're already assigning usernames and a group password, right? so now each group member has to remember an individual password instead of a group password ... login and permission-based destinations/capacities should be seamless, and under the hood. separate logins, at the least, can lead to user confusion. yeah, I know, it seems pretty simple, but remember, you're shooting for the lowest common denominator of your userbase when it comes to usability and design.

17. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

now i understand where you're going, that's a good idea... as long as i make sure that the group names and user names do not intersect, i could just have one login box that serves a dual purpose. then the admin would just tell people that their "account" is the group name/password. good idea, i like that :bigthumb: