MMA Chechen vs Bill Cooper -- Best of the west write up *shakey vids + pics*

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by chechen, Apr 27, 2009.

1. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

sooo.. I competed in this no gi tournament I compete in every year called "best of the west."
    I actually ran into geekboy. I didnt know who he was but he asked me if I was chechen. Always weird when youre
    identified by your internet persona.. but we had a little conversation. i wasnt that pleasant because I get really
    nervous for tournaments..

Anyway, you may or may not recall that last year I lost the first match in my division 3-0 due to me being lazy with my
    butterfly hook, and the guy passed.. and stalled. Then I went on to win third in the open by tapping out the
    aforementioned competitor, and eventually losing to Rickson Black belt Kevin Casey.
    this year was somewhat similar.

I competed in my division against this 5'3 roided out guy. I knew the match would either go really bad or really well.
    So the match starts and I pull half butterfly guard with my overhook.. Triangle him immediately. Unfortunately his neck
    and shoulder is so freaking big.. I just cant even get close to locking my legs.

He is so easy to triangle though.. and I keep attacking that crap. Eventually I start playing this modified rubber guard
    called "williams guard" but like a retard I leave my bottom leg too close to the mat, and he slides through it and
    passes.

From then on.. he just hung on for dear life. I ended up getting half guard back, but at this point he was terrified
    because I had put him in like eight triangles, and a shoulder lock. He squeezed my face all day, and the ref warned him
    and threatened to take away points right as the time expired in the match..

I was extremely disappointed since I really didnt feel any threat from this guy whatsoever.. Him passing my guard was
    completely my own fault.. but I decided that I would do the advanced open again. Just like the last year.

I spent the next five or so hours wandering around. I ended up crashing into eddie bravo and he could see my lower back
    was in a lot of pain. He told me that he was experiencing chronic back pain for the last fifteen years, but now he's 1000 percent..

Intrigued.. I asked him what he did to fix it. And he tells me this is a long story, and asks if I'm willing to listen.
    I say yes, earnestly. This turned out to be a big mistake. His lecture was..... about an hour long. It had something
    to do with him reading some book about vibrations, and a parallel universe where all dimensions form into one.. and
    something about Abraham.. I was just nodding my head over and over until he finished.

Basically he was just trying to say he never let himself be happy, and his attitude is what was causing the back pain.
    Interesting, but the guy REALLY likes to talk.. Holy crap.

So I do the advanced open, and my friend tapes three out of four matches. He decided not to tape my second match because
    "there were too many people in the way." Whatever the hell that means. Just push your way through. UGH.. He also
    shakes the camera like a mofo, and makes the videos almost unwatchable at some points.

Anyway, this was my first match.

[y]QWzsUYqRgDk[/y]

As you see, my overhook triangle works nicely. People arent prepared for that crap most of the time. But my finishing
    ability isnt the best from there. I'm honestly going to spend some time on it, because its frustrating getting a nice
    triangle and just gassing out your legs.... In any case, I reverse the guy with my fav x-guard sweep, and you guys can
    check the rest out from there.

[y]jGn8bw7BstY[/y]

Second Match: I play butterfly guard, and armdrag him. He
    chooses to go to his back instead of me getting the four points. I pass the guard, and go from side control into a
    mounted triangle. I end up on the bottom and I go for an omo plata. He escapes, and goes for a toe hold on me, but does
    it sucky. I toe hold him back. His ankle cracks, and I win.

Third match was against Bill "the grill" Cooper.

[y]vPIW3AP2W1c[/y]

*SPOILERS* I was pretty freaking star struck and excited. I x-guard sweep him in the beginning and am pretty amazed
    about that. I also have a nice reverse heel hook attempt.. but he eventually attacks my arm, and forces me to turn over.
    He comes to my back. He starts reaching for my neck, and traps my arm with his leg. then he covers my mouth and my nose
    so I have the sensation of suffocation, and I squirm. As I squirm he sinks the RNC.

He actually told me the mistake I made was to leave my elbow a bit too flared out when I defended the choke. Thats how he hooked my arm :(

The other interesting thing my friend noted is that Bill instructed all his students to pass to peoples "dumb" or weak
    side. When he passed my guard, he passed to my bad side, and I felt like a fish out of water. It's really such a simple
    and underrated concept. My half guard game is complete trash on my left side, and most people totally favor one side as
    well.

My fourth match was twelve minutes long, and against another big guy. I posted the abridged version because it was
    boring.

[y]Rpjf7Mc3qI4[/y]

I think he had been watching me pretty intently because he was totally happy with stuffing my x-guard and overhook
    attempts and not much else.. He was actually excellent at it, but not even coming close to passing. Anyway, he
    eventually gets bored and goes for some AWFUL leglock, and I come on top earning 2 pts. He puts me in butterfly guard,
    and I get cocky because I'm good at passing that position. And all of the sudden this perfect hook sweep knocks me off
    balance... So thats 2 points for him.

He actually picks me up at one point and I begin to apply pressure to his shoulder with my favorite shoulder lock. His
    elbow actually pops like four times and he winces, but he toughs it out and escapes..
    So we go into freaking sudden death, and theres no time limit. I'm playing a very patient game, and people are just
    waiting for us to finish and getting bored as hell. Eventually I roll upside down from half guard baiting him to go for
    north south.. and take his back with the hooks. Ending the match.

first and second = bill cooper and jeff glover
    third place = Me

so that wasn't bad i thought..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were some other great matches too. Including my friend and brasa black belt, Rodrigo Ranieiri de Faria vs Jeff Glover.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rodrigo is the black guy in the center.

Here is that match:

[y]u5QgGGfVkcM[/y]

There were a number of big names at the event. The guy who won my weight division (150-159.9) was none other than Rani Yahya. One of my friends got guillotined by him ='(

and YES I KNOW MY FRIEND'S CAMERA WORK SUCKS :(

I honestly want someone else to do it from now on. He is great at capturing the mundane moments, but when something exciting happens, he practically puts the camera down. :madfawk:

I think a few other people were taking vids. So maybe I could update this thread in a few days. I'm pissed he just
    elected not to record one of my matches for no apparent reason =/

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  2. f-g

f-g OT Supporter

is that abdel?

3. chechen

yeah

4. Sammo

Sammo New Member

nice, must of been pretty cool

are you going to end up in the next Grappling All-Stars DVD? :mamoru:

5. f-g

f-g OT Supporter

6. Kenny Dalglish

Kenny Dalglish New Member

are you competing at mundials? or do you just do no gi comps?

7. chechen

i do mostly gi competitions. i dont know if ill do it or not. i need to get a freaking job.

8. Kenny Dalglish

Kenny Dalglish New Member

cool.. keep us updated.. ill look out for you if your there.. good luck on job hunting

9. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

That is an excellent experience Tameem. You did very well against Cooper - he's one of the best No Gi guys in the world at that weight. You should be proud. That X-guard sweep on him was well done. You ruined that first kid with overhook to triangle. You set that up well, I'm going to try that this week.

Thanks for sharing, congrats and great job.

10. rtzcom

rtzcom bon wons! fight slepa for life sone!~

good work chechen, you've inspired me to give that overhook triangle setup of yours another shot in my game now that I'm using open guard more often.

11. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

Good write up and good vids.

:rofl: @ bravo's back pain remedy.

12. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

nice, i use that overhook triangle setup a lot. i even used it in my mma match this past weekend, but he slipped out of it :wtc:

13. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

nice write up. nice vids. nice cargo shorts.

14. Sammo

Sammo New Member

must be crazy to be competing against some of the world's best, congrats Hameem :mamoru:

15. prophit

prophit OT Supporter

very nice overhook - triangle, im gonna give this a shot myself. :o

16. Killyin

Killyin Vicariously I, live while the whole world dies.

I didn't know you were only 160lbs. You look jacked!

Good job, your movements are really fluid. I wish I could move like that. :o

17. Killyin

Killyin Vicariously I, live while the whole world dies.

I'm gunna try the overhook triangle too. Hopefully I don't pop my hip. :mamoru:

18. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

nice work, homey :h5:

placing after jeff glover and bill cooper is impressive

19. chechen

hahah this seems like someone else wrote it :rofl:

20. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

RL me =! "e-me"

I'm a good guy irl. I just talk like an asshole on the internet. I've said this many times. :wavey: People who know me will concur. I'm sure most (all?) are the same.

21. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

Oh..

And.. Fist you mother!

22. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

i'd make sweet and sour love to you

23. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

IRL that is. not e-sex

24. f-g

f-g OT Supporter