Cheapest way to ship a car?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Skoles, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Skoles

Skoles Guest

Not sure if this belongs here, but I'd hope to get better answers than in OT.

I have a '77 Buick Riviera that was purchased by a guy in Texas. He was quoted $800 to get it shipped to him but couldn't come up with the money (I have to have this car outta here in a certain timeframe.).

Does anyone know of any other way to ship this for less aside from doing it yourself? He only wants it as a parts car for his own that's in better shape. So the only option he has is for me to strip it down and ship him the few parts he needs. But he'd rather have the whole car since it's in very good shape. The car will be getting junked after it's stripped which is a shame considering it's good, driveable condition.

2. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 New Member

If its in a good driveable condition the cheapest way would definately be to drive it there.

3. edrox

edrox A good man, and thorough

Have you checked with DAS (Dependable Auto Shippers)? They have shipped a few cars for me, pretty reasonable.

Did he give you a deposit on the car? Pay up front? Either way, he made the deal, so its on him to figure out transport. If he can't sort it out in a specified time frame, the deal is off and he forfeits his deposit. Resell it locally, donate it to a worthwhile charity, or take it to the local dismantler.

4. Skoles

Skoles Guest

The plan was he was selling a car to pay shipping. Buyer fell through on his end but he still wanted my car. So he's paying the price I asked but instead of getting the whole car he's having me pull parts the parts he needs & ship them. Most of it is just trim pieces, but there are a coupe big things like the dash & door panels.

5. edrox

So it sort of works out. After he has gotten all the parts he wants, will there be much of anything of value left? A couple of items that could be easily parted off the car for some extra $ ?

6. Skoles

Skoles Guest

There will still be a fully drivable car with no dash or trim. Problem is I was trying to sell it for a while and it has to be gone.

7. edrox

Well, once you have gotten you $ out of him, sell the engine in the paper - $100, but you gotta take the car with it.