A&P Cheapest way to achieve macro photography

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by MissKitty, Apr 17, 2006.

1. MissKitty

MissKitty If squats were easy they'd be called 'Your Mum' OT Supporter

I have been told to get a coupling ring and mount two lenses reversed and do it that way.

Other than buyng a macro lense (which I just can't afford) any hints or suggestions?

2. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

the coupling ring will work, but its kind of verging on 'micro' photography... you have to be within a couple of centimeters of your subject and crop the resulting pictures afterwards.

A better option if you wanted to take pictures of flowers etc would be to get a set of 'EF extension tubes' off ebay (canon make them but not cheap & you only get one vs. a set). They go between the lens and the camera and basically allow you to focus closer, thereby increasing magnification.

http://www.northrup.org/equipment/extension.htm

3. eof

eof New Member

um... 50mm lens + extension tube (I have a 12mm extension and that is all I would want.) If you are shooting Nikon the Kenko brand of extension tubes will maintain all AF and metering capabilities which is not the norm for extension tubes.

4. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

The cheapest and easiest way to shoot most close up shots is to buy close-up diopters. These are simply glass magnifiers that screw onto the front of your lens like filters. Diopters come in varying degrees of magnifcation. They don't get you extreme close up shots like a good macro lens will but for most applications they work well.

The best way to shoot close ups without a macro lens to buy a bellows unit. This mounts between the camera and lens and is more versital than an extension tube as it allows you to move the lens closer or farther from the camera for varying degress of magnification.

5. 00soul

00soul halfsharkalligatorhalfman

isnt the cheapest way a backwards lens adapter?

6. Blair

Blair New Member

From shutterbug.com

7. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

m42 lens
    m42 extension tubes
    m42 to eos adaptor