GUN cheapest place to buy rem 700 police (pss)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by DrewDown, Apr 6, 2009.

1. DrewDown

DrewDown OT Supporter

Looking to buy a remington 700 in .308. I don't care if its new or used. I want to eventually put an aftermarket stock on it, detachable box magazine, etc. So where should I start looking?

2. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

If you are ditching all the stuff that makes the rifle a PSS, why not just start out with a SPS-V or something?

3. DrewDown

DrewDown OT Supporter

How much cheaper is that? I wouldn't mind doin that

4. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I dunno, depends if you buy new or used. I honestly don't really keep way up on new 700 pricing. Would be easy to search it on GunBroker or something.

Better idea would be to go here- www.riverofguns.com and search 700 .308 or some shit. Find the cheapest heavy barreled action you can find. They are all pretty much same/same with the exception of a couple models. Stay away from anything with a detachable magazine made by Remington themselves.

5. DrewDown

DrewDown OT Supporter

Thanks phrozen. Looks like a "barreled action" may be what I should look for. I'm guessing that's everything minus the stock?

6. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Depends on the seller, but pretty much. Some barreled action don't come with triggers, some don't come with bottom metal/magazine/etc. FWIW, older Remingtons are IMO easier/better than the newer offerings. No J-Locks, usually better finishing on the metal (not that that always matters), and the older style trigger (which just about everyone prefers, though I honestly haven't played with one of the newer ones yet).

What kind of Stock/DBM are you thinking?

7. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Not a Remington, but CDNN is selling FN Patrol .308's for $599. Pretty good deal, those rifles are usually around $1k. Has detachable mag and all that, and they have them in 20 and 24 in barrels.

8. kds000

kds000 New Member

i got a pbr xp from cdnn, it was nice and the action felt great. it comes with a NEAR mfg. 20moa base from the factory too. just throw on a mcmillan stock and some nice glass and call it a day.

9. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I've actually contemplated going that route myself. Do those have the CL tubes?

Curious to hear how magbox/throat geometry works out with the 308 FN's. I've never been around one.

10. kds000

kds000 New Member

the more expensive spr line has the cl bores, pbrs do not sadly.

11. DrewDown

DrewDown OT Supporter

link?

12. BLH

BLH Member

cdnninvestments.com

Download their catalog, I saw them in there just the other day when looking through it.

13. DrewDown

DrewDown OT Supporter

I'm pretty sold on an FN from CDNN right now. However they a few specials including a short action. Should I go with the Patrol for $599?

14. DrewDown

DrewDown OT Supporter

15. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

I would, I had a chance to shoot one over the weekend. When I get enough cash, I'm buying one. Throw on an optic, and a bipod, and you are done.

Btw, if you plan on using it for hunting, think again. That rifle is built like a fucking tank and weighs 9.3 pounds empty with no optic on it.

16. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

17. DrewDown

DrewDown OT Supporter

I'm so close to buying that barreled action right now. I'm having a hard time finding what exactly will work with it. I want to have a game plan before I buy. I heard the lead time on the McMillan stocks is around 5 months. Plus there may be some fitment issues if with the 4 rnd detachable box mag... Since I don't plan on buying extra mags I don't see an advantage unless I could find one with a higher capacity than 4, which I haven't.

Should I search for Winchester model 70 mags? I hate this part of buying stuff because I get so overwhelmed doing research lol.

18. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Find/call/look for CDI Precision. I know that he was once doing bottom metal for Winnies (FN = winchester model 70) that used the AI AICS mags. You can get those in 5 and 10rd capacities, and they seem to be what a lot of guys are running (I don't have any experience with them). What I don't know, is if he was doing it for the factory DBM actions, or the hinged floorplate ones.

As for McM, the leadtime does suck. I was gonna tell you to hawk over the 'net specials page, but I'm not for sure what type of inlet the CDI stuff would have (if you decided to go that way). Might be hard to find. Either way, I would reccommend saving your money and going with the McM, no matter the wait. For a myriad of reasons, McM is about the best stocks going (with possible competition from Manners, though I haven't played with one of those).

19. DrewDown

DrewDown OT Supporter

Spoke with CDI on the phone. Sounds like it for the barreled action it doesn't matter if it's for the hinged floor plate or the DBM, as all of the stock parts get tossed. However I'm gonna want a stock made for the DBM. He said the McMillan will work with their kit and they have it in stock ready to ship. :noes:

I think I'm sold

20. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Cool, cool. I figured he'd know what's up. I wasn't for sure if the action was cut differently from the factory, or which stock would inlet you'd need. I don't really keep up with the Winny stuff that much.

So sounds like you need to find a stock...

21. DrewDown

DrewDown OT Supporter

You're tellin me. If I have to play the waiting game I should just get a can while I'm at it.

22. DrewDown

DrewDown OT Supporter

Finally got a hold of someone local willing to do a FFL transfer at a decent price (my 2 buddies let theirs expire) only to find out that CDNN is out of the barreled actions. I'll probably go with the 599 special. At least I will be able to shoot it while waiting for the stock