Cheaper Alternative to PC?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by jjski78, Feb 23, 2007.

1. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

No cheap alternative to the PC. /thread

That is a rotary and it only has two speeds and the low speed is too high for finishing. You need a variable speed rotary if you go that route. Plus, the learning curve with a rotary is pretty steep. If you think the wife won't go for the price of a PC, imagine how pissed she will be if you burn through the paint on a fender of her car with a rotary.

3. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Straight from the man himself. That's the kind of stuff I need for ammo when I justify this to her.

Would the PC 7336SP be a good choice?? It's an orbital that adjusts from 2500-6000 OPM.

4. Autoeng

Autoeng New Member

If you can find it then that is the PC to get but as Porter is discontinuing that model it is hard to come by. See other thread about the $47 PC.

5. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Yeah, I'm noticing that. Unavailable everywhere. But I did find a Factory reman 7424 for $110 direct from PC. I think I can justify that since it is for her car. Got a little paint restoration to do.

6. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

I thought lowe's is just closing them out.... PC isn't discontinuing them I don't think... I hope not :noes: It is still on PC's website (7424 and 7336).

7. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

The 7336 has a 6" counterweight, the 7424 has a 5" counterweight. Other than that, they are the same machine. The 7336 runs a touch smoother because of the larger counterweight.

You will need to get a backing plate and pads. The 6" backing plate from www.exceldetail is the Rolls Royce of backing plates. Meguiars, Propel, Lakewood, etc all have excellent cutting, polishing and finishing pads.

8. Bolix

Bolix GLOWED UP OT Supporter

Check eBay for a 7336 if you don't have any luck with local area Lowe's. I got my pads/polish in earlier today, and once the rain clears out tomorrow its on, mastodon!