GUN CHEAP safes?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Accord, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Accord

Accord New Member

Where is a good place to buy a good cheap safe large enough to hold ~4 rifles, ~4 pistols, and accessories? All the safe's i've seen are $1,000+ and that's out of my price range.

2. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

You missed Black Friday at Lowes. Sentry 7/14 gun safes -- $297. They're back up to $397 now. Not bad, but I don't think I'd put my good stuff in one.

3. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lowes website had it mispriced at 2.97... had 5 in my cart before i got to the checkout page saying they dont sell them online :hsd:

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

check around local stores? I'm sure theres good deals online but I'm thinking you'll get raped on shipping. I got a pretty nice 14 gun safe at a local shop for $500, fairly heavy duty can be bolted into the floor. It's totally crammed now, have to leave my SAR1 and a mosin out, going to buy a bigger safe after I move :hsd:

5. Accord

Accord New Member

Those Sentry 7/14 safes, what exactly does the 7/14 mean? It holds 7 rifles and up to 14 pistols? :dunno:

6. Accord

Accord New Member

That $397 is still cheaper than anything else i've found anywhere.

7. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

Imagine an open safe divided down the middle.

Now, on one side it stays open for the vertical storage of rifles.

On the other bay, there are shelves, usually 3-4 that allow storage of handguns, documents, etc.

You can take out the shelves and you'll then have room for 7 more long guns.

However, in reality, you'll probably never fit 14 long guns in the safe; well, maybe if they were Chipmunk brand .22 rifles...

8. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:werd: mines suppose to hold 14, I got like 10 crammed in it and its very tight

I have to leave a couple rifles out and all my uppers, i just stack the AR lowers on each other lol

9. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Exactly. Divide the number the safe is supposed to hold by half and you'll have a better idea of how many guns it will hold in the real world.

10. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

I just picked up a Sentry 14 gun a few months ago. Got it on sale at Bi Mart for $300. Also some Walmarts are carrying them for $329 last I checked. I wish I could have gotten something fire rated, but can't afford it.

11. DSMTuning

DSMTuning New Member

the walmart near me has a decent sentry gun safe i know it holds more than 4 and it is under $100... they also have decent pistol safes that hold 2 for under $30 if you dont mind having separate safes

12. Accord

Accord New Member

Awesome, besides it not being fire rated, how do you like it? Would you mind taking a picture of the interior? I've had an impossible time finding pictures them online and the pics I have found were with the door half closed.

Thanks

13. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Check walmarts, you should be able to find something for around $300-350 that can store several long guns and handguns. I'd avoid electronic locks, but ymmv.

14. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:werd: super secure safes talking alot of money my safe retailed for like $900 its pretty heavy and with bolts its not going anywhere but someone who knows what there doing could probably get into in a few minutes, with the right tools :noes: but I think it would probably keep out most common burglers. I use to have one of those sentry floor safes that go for like $200, my dog ate the dial off it took me about 15 minutes to get it open. If someones determined your not going to stop them. That said when I buy my own house I plan to build a cinder block safe room reinforced with rebar and shit in the basement :o

15. Accord

Accord New Member

I don't really care about fire protection or having a safe so secure that not even a master locksmith could get into it. My main purpose for it is to just simply have a place to store my firearms and prevent others without any sort of malicious intent (i.e. friends, parents, etc.) from getting into it... and also a case that looks good and something I could show off :bigthumb:.

The Sentry 7/14 case from Lowes seems absolutely perfect for what i'm looking for. The modular interior allows me to configure the setup inside how I want, the case looks good so i'd be able to keep it somewhere visible, and it's secure enough to keep pretty much anyone in my household out of it which is what I mainly need it for.

Also, how the hell do you get a 500 pound safe up a flight of stairs? :x:

16. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Sorry I don't have a digi cam right now, so I can't take any pics.

17. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

sentry is the best cheap safe.. you can get a stackon for cheaper, but I dont even think they have a fire rating..

keep an eye on sales flyers *gander mtn, etc), for good deals

be weary of gun-manufacturer brand safes, theyre made by someone else, and marked up for the name

18. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

19. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

usmcsilver, i love all your stickers.. i have the "peace through superior firepower" patch on my AK case

20. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

i want that WOLF sticker :squint:

21. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

I forgot to mention that my safe is a 12/24 safe. However, there are 16 long guns in there right now and I'd be doing good to squeeze another. I'd be doing really, really good to sqeeze two more; if I did that, I honestly don't think the door would shut.

22. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I think wolf sells those stickers on there website :dunno:
    He has a tec9 :mamoru2: j/k I thought about getting one there on gunbroker for like $300 would be a fun beater plinker but I hear they jam alot

23. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Get a handtruck/dolly with pneumatic tires, not those wussy little baby tires and 2 people should be able to move it. I can manage that lowes safe and a couple stairs by myself with one and I'm not all that strong.

24. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

Been 100% reliable and accurate as can be. The only problem I had was when the bolt handle broke off and hit me in the freakin' face. Thank God for shootin' glasses; that coulda left a mark.

Many of those stickers came from manufacturers. I simply e-mailed as many as I could think of, told them what I was doing, and asked if they could spare some stickers. Worked great, as you can see. The majority, however, came from fellow board members from numerous boards. The generosity of fellow gun-lovers is amazing. :bowdown:

25. blindarrow

blindarrow New Member

I've been thinking about the TEC-9 for awhile.. just to have something to plink with. :cool: