Cheap notebook/laptop for writing a novel.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Repentinus, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Repentinus

Repentinus New Member

Is there such a thing. Back in the day of early computer (late 80s/early 90s) there were word processor that basically looked like computers but were nothing other than a word processor. Is there a laptop version of that out today?

I've been wanting to write a novel but can't get in the groove sitting at my computer desk. I get my inspiration on the road, in bed, and other places where mobility is key.

2. keleko

keleko yes, he is

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Look on eBay for a old Gateway Solo 2500. I have one that I use for logging engine computer data on my Volkswagen. It's kinda heavy and it's only 350MHz or so, but its steel skeleton makes it drop-proof (within reason) and if you plug in some extra RAM it will run Windows XP and Microsoft Office well enough to write a book. It might even let you play Solitaire for inspiration.

4. ady

ady New Member

You have a number of options:

craigslist, ebay, maybe a colleague or friend has an old model they are selling, lowend models (maybe refurbished) from Dell, HP, Acer, Toshiba etc. Black friday is also comming up and you may be able to get a great deal if you invest some time.

I understand it may not be an option, but you might want to consider investing a little more and getting the best machine that meets your needs. My wife was in the same situation a few years ago and we really didnt want to invest alot in a notebook for her, but the cheaper options just didn't sit right and in the end we decided it was better to get a decent, new, warranted machine so that the computer could be forgotton about and she could just get on with writing and know that it would work when ever she needed it to. (She went with a 12" powerbook and has been incredibly productive on it).

5. keleko

keleko yes, he is

there's nothing wrong with the one i have to sell

it's always worked perfectly fine

6. Repentinus

Repentinus New Member

Thanks all for the help. I think I might take ady's advice. I'll keep shopping around though. Thanks.