GUN cheap handgun advice needed v. Makarov, etc

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by huntz0r, Feb 13, 2006.

1. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Gun show coming up in a couple weeks here.

I'm planning to look for either a Bulgarian Mak or a CZ-52. The Mak because it's cheap and could be used for carry someday, the CZ because it's even cheaper and just plain neat. I understand good prices for these are around $170 and $100 respectively.

What exactly should I be looking for in these? In used weapons in general?

Any other recommendations for low-budget fun? (in calibers more potent than .22LR)

edit: Before someone asks, no, I am NOT buying a Lorcin.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2006
  2. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

hi-point .380 or 9mm

ugly ass guns, but tons of positive reviews on reliability and accuracy. plus they all come w/ lifetime unconditional warranties.

3. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

The CZ-52 would be more of a fun range type gun. I'd recommend the Makarov. They're tough guns but small enough and great for carry. I still carry mine sometimes and have trained with it heavily. As for Mak's you're most likely to find a Bulgarian at the shows. Not much to look for, they're all pretty good. Just make sure you clean all the cosmoline out of it, including the firing pin channel.

4. Ukraine Train

Ukraine Train New Member

IMO $170 for a bulgie Mak is too much; I wouldn't pay more than $150 at a gun show for a VG-excellent one. You can find them online for like $120 but then add s/h and FFL fee. I like my Mak a lot but I think it’s too weak for a good defensive gun. Check the barrel to make sure it’s not rusty or pitted. If you want to spend about $100 more you can get a Hi-Power clone like my Arcus. It’s a 98DC (double action compact) and I love it. I think I paid $240+s/h+FFL.

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

The only problem I have with the mak for a carry gun is I'm not all that impressed with the round it fires. Its good...but a cheap 9mm would be better, but you have far far better availability and affordability. $250 will get you an all metal DAO used S&W that should outlast you. Maybe a used .38spl taurus revolver that that or less. Even the kel-tec p11 or their new 9mm gun when its available in a few months. Now thats if you don't already have a handgun, if you just want another one cheap then ignore me. :big grin:

6. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Yeah that's true, I know the 9x18 isn't a very powerful cartridge. If I got a 9x19 though I'd want to not settle for less than a Glock 26, and that's $OMG$ for me presently. Hi-Point C-9 may be the ticket if I chance to see one. I even kind of like its looks.

I could always carry the CZ with some of that new hollowpoint Tokarev ammo... or not :mamoru:

I only got one handgun purchase permit anyway so I guess I'll just have to see if there's anything at all that looks good... I could always buy some old Soviet milsurp rifle too.

BTW, I own one firearm presently, a Ruger Mark II. Mostly want a gun to play with at the range that feels more like a gun, possibly with option to use for self-defense, but not necessarily.

7. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Just responding to Mak prices, last I knew most of the big dealers are running low on Mak's and the prices have been going up quite a bit lately. So 150-170 really isn't too out of line. Plus the ammo is cheap. But if you're not carrying it, no reason not to go with another 9mm. Both are cheap to shoot.

8. Hops

Hops OT Supporter

If you're talking about rifles here, can't get much better bang for your buck with a $80 Mosin Nagant.

9. Ukraine Train

Ukraine Train New Member

You could get a Star BM for $150. They're nice guns but parts can be hard to find should you need something. They look nice too.
    http://southernohiogun.com/surplushandguns.html

If you were getting a cheap rifle I'd probably go with an SKS even though they're a little more than Mosins but they are semi auto. 7.62x54R packs a nice punch, though, and ammo is cheap (corrosive surplus).

10. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

can you lend a nigga a pencil?