GUN Cheap gun safe

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Yeemix, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Yeemix

Yeemix My Doggah!

Just been looking around at gun safes, and I found a pretty cheap one at Walmart. What do you think about this one? It's more of a temporary while I still live in an apartment and it will house only my glock and a mossberg I'm planning on getting later on. Opinions?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4244347

2. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Looks like it'll definately help prevent a smash and grab from stealing your guns.

3. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

Ohhh, I like.

4. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

i was also thinkin about getting one. from what others have said, it seem i'd rather throw down a bit more ching and get a nice safe. i dunno about sentry but stay away from the cheaper stackon's at your local dicks sporting goods.

for 2 weapons it isn't bad though. i just think that i would be on the track to outgrow a safe like that soon. with you living in an APT. you'll also enjoy not getting a hernia bringing a bigass safe up stairs.

5. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

That one looks pretty cool, I have to admit.

In Atlanta theres a store that all they do is sell safes and their prices are better then Walmart so maybe look in the whitepages for businesses that start with "Safe" and see if they can compete, often they can!

6. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

I have a Stack-on and it's good enough. They're heavy as fuck and they can be bolted down. It'll deter anyone that's just there to grab what they can get. I figure if someone knows that they're going to have to bust into a safe then they're going to bring the right tools. In that case it doesn't matter what kind of safe it is. Considering that Wal-Mart sells Sentry safes I definately wouldn't trust them any more than I'd trust a Stack-on. I'd jump on that safe for $150.

7. Yeemix

Yeemix My Doggah!

Done, just placed the order since none of the local Walmarts carry the safe. I'll take some pics and let you know how it works out. Thanks again!

8. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

I think there are ratings for every safe on the market out there. They are rated by how many minutes it would take a professional safe cracker to break into.
    May want to look into that next time you purchase one. However, I do not know how to find information like this.

9. Yeemix

Yeemix My Doggah!

As far as I can tell, this is a pretty low-end safe, no fire or water protection, just a huge steel box with a lock. Works for me now, I don't have any priceless guns just yet, so theft and safety is my primary concern. But damn, there sure are some nice safes out there I would like to get later on in the future.

10. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

Yeemix, do you have an AR15, or a rifle that is taller than traditional rifles. I see the safe is only 9.5" deep, probably not including the thing that holds the rifle up. I want to see if an AR15 with a 20rd mag and optics would fit without being sideways.

But yea, take lots of pics. I cant find any additional ones online :oh:

11. Yeemix

Yeemix My Doggah!

Sorry, no AR15, I live in California, unless I get one of those with a fixed internal mag.

12. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Most of what gun owners buy aren't safes so they won't have a rating. They are big steel boxes with a lock, commonly known as residential security containers. Real safe's are rated by the underwriters laboratories (UL) for both fire and burglarly resistance. A buglarly rating of TL-15 would mean that a safe will hold up to 15 minutes of attack with tools by a reasonably knowledgeable attacker. TL-30 means 30 minutes and allows more tools. You'll also find the lock groups themselves are also UL rated.

For more info on the tests I found this:
    http://www.amsecusa.com/ul_burglary_class.htm

13. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I decided to go the opposite way with my first safe - I'm going to be buying something pretty big that I'm sure I'll grow into.

I was looking at the walmart safes, but as a guy told me at cabela's, those have like a 1 year warranty, whereas the better ones have a lifetime. So I'm going to pony up the dough for a cabela's safe with a lifetime warranty

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...ct&cmCat=Related_IPL_228301&id=0031453227327a
    it's $799 at the store though.

edit: plus I'm going to wait for the grand opening sales.

14. Yeemix

Yeemix My Doggah!