GUN Cheap 9mm handguns

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by sparq, Dec 19, 2004.

1. sparq

sparq New Member

Are there actually any "good" - cheap 9mm guns out there?

Something that can be reasonably accurate within 30-50 feet?

2. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Define cheap.

3. KMD

KMD Guest

You can get one or the other but not both in one gun.

4. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Arcus 94 can be had for less than $300 new

CZ75 can for ~$350 new with a little hunting

Kel-tec P11 is a good compact choice for just a smidge over $200

Wouldn't be uncommon to find a Glock or S&W used in the low to mid $300 range either.

i personally wouldn't consider any less than these. Save up if you must, but unless you're getting a steal, anything costing less really wouldn't be worth the money.

5. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Ruger 9mm - $340 new will last forever

6. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Hi-Point has a standard and a compensated 9mm for under 170 bucks.

7. shohan

shohan New Member

:mamoru: I dont' know which is worse the Ruger or the Hi Point suggestion.

For real though, the CZs are a very nice pistols. I suppose if you want to go for a Ruger or Hi Point it's your choice.

8. Painkiller

Painkiller Sometimes remembering is better than forgetting

glock 17

9. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Apparently you haven't fired or spent time with either the Ruger or Hi Points. Both are very good firearms and I would have no qualms carrying either on a daily basis. Both are big guns though and built very solidly. They are also rated for +P+ ammo.

As for Hi Points, while they are very low priced, they not only come with lifetime warrenty, they have one of the lowest return for repair rates of all brands. You can laugh all you want, but check them out instead of just going off the pricetag as an indicator of quality :)

10. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

If you are looking at less than $200, you may want to go the Makarov route.

I am personally looking at a compact Springfield 9mm XD. I just read a glowing review about it in the Shotgun News.

11. Y2kAccord

Its already been said.. you dont know anything about guns.

Rugers have been testing at 25-50k rounds with no signs of wear, they are built to last and are very good quality

My Ruger 9mm 2500rds and counting with 0 problems

Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  12. lvkyle

lvkyle I am a punk rocker!

Go Ruger.

You can find used P89 at gun shops for 289 or less. I got mine used and it's accurate, never had a jam, feeds and shoots any ammo, and you will have no problem finding aftermarket and high cap mags.

I picked up a Mecgar 17 round mag that fits flush with the ruger, so I got 17+1 capacity, plus ive found a few 25 and 30 round after market so called junk mags that work fine as long as you load them up properly. The gun goes bang every time, and its just as accurate as a glock IMO.

Cons are it's a heavier, bulkier and not plastic. Also there is no rail for need attachments like glocks have. not ideal for CCW but I know a few who do it, and i can't tell he is packing a gun. A must is to add some houge screw on grips and maybe some night sights and you would be good to go.

13. shohan

shohan New Member

I was merely making a joke and even said later that in the end the choice was his. Forgive me if I don't agree with you and like literal blocks of metal in my hand. Since I don't know any about firearms I guess I'll return my Sig P220 right away. Especially since it wieghs less loaded then either a Ruger P-Series or a Hi Point .45 does empty.

Remember everyone! If you disagree with anyone on OT, then you: a) Are dumb. b) Don't know anything. c) Don't have an Av. d) All of the above.

Sparq, take all these suggestions and make your decision. Try and handle some of the firearms. You might find something you like. When dealing with something like a firearm "cheap" isn't a word I like to use. I'm not saying that there aren't any good firearms for under $300 or even $200, but sometimes you get what you paid for.

14. Y2kAccord

Wow I didnt know that ownership of a Sig makes you a gun expert.. I stand corrected

15. shohan

shohan New Member

:squint: I didn't say owning a Sig or any other firearm made me a gun expert. I was only using it as an example.

16. user32

user32 Guest

I would put anything under $500 in the Cheap category. Here are some suggestions:

Ruger
    XD
    Glock

17. sparq

sparq New Member

Seen em, are they worth a damn? I mean, god forbid I actually have to use it, will I not be able to hit the broadside of a barn?

18. Cheap guns....just what this world needs...

19. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

My life is worth more than $200.

Is yours?

20. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

I hate when people try to lie to themselves and say that a cheap firearm is just as good as an expensive one. I got a good deal on a knight muzzleloader this year which was originally $550 in Cabela's. My cousin on the other hand has a $120 package from wal-mart (that includes a scope :ugh: ) and acts like all I did was pay for a name :hsugh:

21. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Just buy a Glock 19 or a Glock 17 and be done with it. You can find police trade in's for reasonable prices, they require little to no upkeep, don't rust, and are as reliable as they come.

22. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Hi point's are very reliable and accurate. There are people though that think cost always means quality. Most times it does, BUT there are those exceptions. Hi Point is one of thoe exceptions.

Would I carry one on duty? yes and without hesitation. Matter of fact I am thinking of getting a .45 just to use for IPSC for the hell of it. They are bulky, they are ugly, but they go bang when the trigger is pulled and they put the bullet where you aim. I love using the Hi Point as an example because it quickly separates those that really know firearms from those that claim they do :)

Just out of curiosity, how many naysayers have even tested one? Or are you just basing your opinion off the fact that you can buy the .380, 9mm, .40 AND the .45 models for the same cost as a new Glock? (toss in the .40 carbine to that for the price of an HK)

23. Whalephat

Whalephat Conservative Bastard

OMG... Hi-Points are total pieces of shit!!! :rofl:

24. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Only because they aren't a status symbol. :)

25. shohan

shohan New Member

Exactly. No one who knows firearms would suggest something like that unless they were trying to sell one off to some unknowing fool. BTW, are you rep for Hi Point or something? :p

I guess we'll see Rob Leatham and Ernest Langdon using Hi Points from now on.:rolleyes: