LGBT Chat rooms and gay people

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by marxwa99, Sep 20, 2005.

1. marxwa99

marxwa99 Boom Squad

Hey all:

So most of you, well maybe a few of you since I rarely post nowadays, well some of you know that I’m a grad student studying communication, specifically chat room usage by marginalized individuals.

My new project is looking at first mapping the terrain of chat room usage by gay individuals. I was wondering if you all could answer these questions.

THIS HAS BEEN APPROVED BY A MOD (i.e. Nova) and only my advisor will see this information. This will not be included in any data collection. it is a simple pretest. If you feel more comfortable sending me the info via PM, that works too!

Thanks!

Zack

I’m looking for:
    (1a) the names of ALL the Internet chat rooms that you utilize and have utilized (if applicable)

With this list you composed, can you include for EACH chat room:
    (1b) how frequent you utilize each Internet chat room
    (1c) how comfortable you are in the chat room (on a scale from 1-10, 1 = not comfortable at all, 10 = completely comfortable. Also please include a quick explanation of what led you to rate your comfort in the room as that numeric value)
    (1d) how accepting the chat room is to gay individuals? (on a scale from 1-10, 1 = not accepting at all, 10 = completely accepting. Also please include a a quick explanation of what led you to rate your perception of the acceptance in the room as that numeric value)

This last part is optional:
    Think of the chat room you utilize the most. Please briefly describe:
    (2a) a typical trip on the chat room you utilize the most entail
    (2b) one outstanding/good experience you had in that chat room
    (2c) one horrible/bad experience.

2. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

Do you want replies if we don't use chat rooms?

I probably would, but the only chat rooms I know of are the AOL ones, and they're overrun with bots and spammers. :dunno:

3. marxwa99

marxwa99 Boom Squad

yeah however many or little you use, that's perfect. I know it's a lot to ask, but i thought i could start on OT and work my way to the "real" life communities to which i belong

4. BlondieAMC

BlondieAMC New Member

I’m looking for:
    (1a) the names of ALL the Internet chat rooms that you utilize and have utilized (if applicable)
    AT&T and AOL

With this list you composed, can you include for EACH chat room:
    (1b) how frequent you utilize each Internet chat room
    AT&T maybe once a month
    I used to be on AOL- maybe once a week

(1c) how comfortable you are in the chat room (on a scale from 1-10, 1 = not comfortable at all, 10 = completely comfortable. Also please include a quick explanation of what led you to rate your comfort in the room as that numeric value)
    AT&T-8
    AOL- 5 (too many ppl looking for cybersex for me)
    I'd get maybe 1 outa 10 that wanted to really chat

(1d) how accepting the chat room is to gay individuals? (on a scale from 1-10, 1 = not accepting at all, 10 = completely accepting. Also please include a a quick explanation of what led you to rate your perception of the acceptance in the room as that numeric value)
    AT&T-8
    AOL-8

I don't have alot of time to fill out the last part but typically i don't like too many chat rooms becuase you get too many ppl wanting to "hook-up". i just want to chat with ppl that can relate to me. I would rather be on a message board to do that than a chat-room.

Hope this helps.

5. AstroGirl

AstroGirl If I don't respond it's because I have severe ADD

I don't use chatrooms either...

6. Jeremie

Jeremie Guest

I never saw the point of chatrooms... Not a shread of intelligent conversation takes place in a chatroom.

7. sholnay

sholnay New Member

I disagree - there are plenty of chat rooms especially on IRC that have a tremendous amount of intellectual banter.

With that said, I can give my history of chat rooms - though I havent used one in a long while (except for some computer support issues).

Chatrooms:
    IRC: Gamesurge/Gamesnet/Undernet/Dalnet and various other servers
    AOL: pretty much been all around there

Frequency of Use:
    AOL: when I used it back in the day, I would use the chat rooms daily - and I used them daily for several years, probably 5-6 years. probably from ~1996-2001
    IRC: when I was on it, I would use it daily as well ~1999-2003
    Prodigy: i used it probably once a month back when we first got a computer - whenever AOL was not around and prodigy was the main ISP (1993-1995?)

Comfort:
    AOL: 10 - the chatrooms I was in were FOR cybersex or trading files - i was comfortable in all of them cause I was young and dumb.
    IRC: 10 - i was apart of several online communties for gaming and just general hang out spots to waste time online (kind of like OT)

Acceptance:
    AOL: 10 - the rooms I was in were for gays ;) (and pedophiles ;) )
    IRC: ? not sure, i was never apart of any gay themed chats - it never came up other than the occasional gay banter that happens in all male conversations.

None of this is too current - sorry to say - hope it provides some help for you.

8. MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf New Member

The only chatroom I have used is gay.com and not for quite a while. Been at least 8 months, if not longer...

I will say it is gay friendly :)

9. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

I have not used a chat room since high school. I used to basically live in talkcity, but that is because I was DL then and they had a popular gay section... So many fondled memories. :o

10. Sam Gamgee

Sam Gamgee Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right. OT Supporter

I haven't used a chatroom in years... sorry... can't help with this