SRS Chasing euphoria? A semi incoherent rant follows...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SpicyMcVoodoo, Jul 27, 2006.

1. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

Can anyone else relate to the never ending quest for euphoria? It's like trying to experience it dominates my thoughts and life. It's also odd how various substances affect it. At the right time, even alcohol, can have me feeling warm and fuzzy and glad to be alive. Other times it can make me depressed. Same with weed. The only thing that does the job consistently is opiates, but even then there's the problem with tolerance. Once drugs aren't there, it's all an effort to persue projects and goals which will lead to euphoria....and sex, that's a huge one...I don't even have sex for the physical pleasure so much as the mental. I dunno. It's like life is just a series of experiments, the goal of which is to seek that fleeting feeling. Not saying I mind this at all, because I seem to find euphoria a lot, but I was just reflecting on how the search for it literally dominates my entire psyche. Is this healthy? Or is this maybe indicative of a mood disorder? I was reading about hypomania the other day, and it really freaked me out...almost like the search for euphoria was really the search for a way of inducing a hypomanic state.

/nonsensical rant

2. Blackthorn

Blackthorn New Member

Its because chasing euphoria has more *immediate*, tangible benefits than chasing long term goals that actually bring lasting value to your life.

Just ask any drug user. :)

3. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

I've yet to find anything which brings lasting value to life, at least of the "euphoric level" that I'd like...I mean, lately I've even been experimenting with sleep deprivation because sometimes I've noticed it can bring a euphoric feeling. :dunno:

4. Blackthorn

Blackthorn New Member

That's my point.

All you do is chase the next high. I've seen it so many times when I used to hang around such people, all like you. They could do any number of things - education, a better job, build lasting relationships with their SO, hobbies, sports, etc. etc. Instead they blow it all on getting that next fix. They do it because its so ingrained they can't even think about the long term. They've done it for so long, they don't know any other way to be and can't comprehend anything else.

All thing must exist in balance.

5. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

Interesting, this is something that I don't know if I want to fix, because life without euphoria is just monotonous shit.

6. Blackthorn

Blackthorn New Member

Don't you think that says something about your life then?

7. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Interesting thread.

8. Blackthorn

Blackthorn New Member

Take this from someone who has done more than his fair share of substance abuse -
    there are better things you could be doing with your life.

If you still insist on getting high, it should not be the sole focus of your life. It should be done in moderation. If you can't hack moderation, then I'd advocate complete abstinence.

9. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

No, it probably says more about my wiring than anything.

10. Blackthorn

Blackthorn New Member

Sounds like a copout to avoid making changes. But hey its your life man, do with it what you will.