GUN Charges filed against father for shooting daughter’s beau

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by spankaveli, Aug 22, 2007.

1. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

BENTONVILLE — Prosecutors filed formal charges Friday against a Highfill father accused of shooting his daughter’s boyfriend.

George David Reed, 48, is charged with a terroristic act, a class Y felony; and battery in the first degree, a class B felony. If convicted of the class Y felony, Reed could receive a sentence of 10 to 40 years or life in prison. The other felony carries a prison sentence ranging from five to 20 years.

Reed was arrested July 31 for shooting 19-year-old Michael Austin Guzman at Reed’s home at 13569 Vaughn Road.

Guzman is the boyfriend of Reed’s 17-year-old daughter, who called Benton County Central Communications at 11: 10 a. m. July 31 to report her father had shot her boyfriend.

According to a probablecause affidavit in the case, Guzman and the girl had been dating for the past four months. The girl had told her mother Guzman had been sneaking into the house at night. The two were allowed to continue dating, but Guzman was told not to come to the residence without being chaperoned, the affidavit states.

Guzman came to the home that morning while his girlfriend’s parents were away. He parked his car on a dirt road about a quarter of a mile from the home, and his girlfriend picked him up. They then went back to her home, according to court documents.

Reed told BCSO investigator Jeremy Felton that a friend called and told him Guzman might be at the residence because the friend had seen Guzman’s car parked down the road from Reed’s home.

According to court documents, Reed went home and got a pool stick from his garage before entering the house. Reed went to his daughter’s room, where he found Guzman hiding in the closet, the affidavit states. Reed claims he yelled at Guzman to get out of the house. Guzman began kicking him in the legs, so Reed began hitting Guzman with the pool stick, according to court documents. Reed claims he left the room and retrieved a loaded gun from his bedroom and came back toward the room and yelled for Guzman to get out. Reed could not get the bedroom door to open, court documents state.

Reed claims he fired warning shots high up and also fired shots toward the bottom of the door, according to the affidavit. Reed backed away from the door after hearing Guzman yell he had been shot, the affidavit states. Reed put the gun back into the nightstand drawer, then waited on the porch for deputies to arrive, according to court documents.

The daughter told Felton her father found her boyfriend in the closet and began hitting Guzman with the pool stick. The affidavit claims that while being hit, Guzman kept saying “ Stop, I’ll leave, ” and her father kept hitting him.

After being shot, Guzman told his girlfriend he could not feel or move his legs, according to court documents. Guzman was taken to Freeman Hospital in Joplin, Mo., where he underwent surgery to remove a bullet lodged in his spinal cord.

According to the probable-cause affidavit, three of Guzman’s vertebrae were fractured. Doctors do not expect him to regain any feeling or mobility from the waist down.

Reed was released from the Benton County Jail after posting $ 150, 000 bond. He is scheduled to appear at 8: 30 a. m. Sept. 10 for an arraignment before Circuit Judge David Clinger.

http://www.nwanews.com/bcdr/News/52443/

2. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

What an idiot. There was no reason to fire "warning shots" in your own home, when you have already scared the piss out of the kid by beating him with a pool stick. This guy was just on a power trip, he should have picked th kid up and thrown him out, done deal. It's not like the kid was a stranger, he had no intent to kill and was unarmed, no reason to draw a gun let alone fire it as a "warning".

3. t1h

t1h Guest

so his daughter is a slut?

4. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Don't talk about my GF like that! :wtc:

:mamoru:

5. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Hope that was a good piece of ass cause from the sounds of it the kid wont be getting anymore.

6. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

might still be able to finger bang?:ugh2:

7. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

well seeing as how missouri just passed the castle doctrine law... would it apply in this case? meaning that anyone unlawfully in your home you can shoot?

8. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

he wasnt unlawfully in his home... thats the problem. he got mad because the kid was fucking his daughter.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2007
  9. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I don't blame him TOO much. Kid was an idiot too.

10. Finest

Finest OG #93

:roflw:

11. Gimik

Gimik New Member

that's not what the castle doctrine says.

12. Finest

Finest OG #93

Wow, that's kind of harsh, don't you think? Considering the kid lived and all....

:ugh:

13. Gimik

Gimik New Member

and here again we see the moral of the story is "Do not break into peoples' houses."

So easy to avoid too.

14. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

:rofl:

oh jesus, im a fucking idiot who cant read. i thought the kid died for some reason, i think i had this thread confused with another thread i was looking at.

15. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

I swear if I saw "according to court documents" again the reporter needs to be shot.

16. Finest

Finest OG #93

S'all good. :bigthumb:

17. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

:rofl: MURDER.

18. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

considering he told him not to come back, i'm pretty sure that makes the entry unlawful.

19. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

he told him the conditions he could be in the house, he was unlawfully in his residence

20. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

and a terroristic act :wtf: :ugh:

21. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

The kid was being let into the house by the daughter, its not like he was a burglar. Usually I'd side with the homeowner, but in this case he was an idiot, and paralyzed a guy because he was screwing his daughter, not because he was unlawfully in the house.

22. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

he did overreact quite a bit :o

23. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

i don't disagree with that. :o

24. Finest

Finest OG #93

I'm trying to figure out how he shot the kid in the spine.

Kid runs into room, closes door and leans his back against the door? Dad fires and hits him in the spine?

And anyone figure out what the "terroristic act" was?

25. Gimik

Gimik New Member

Hrmm... I dunno. I'm pretty sure the homeowner can name it tresspassing even if one of the people living there lets them in. He owns the house, not the daughter. He'd have every right to call the police on the kid - he just wasn't in mortal danger to use deadly force.