SRS chantix, are you really going to work for me?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by registeredPORK, Oct 7, 2009.

1. registeredPORK

registeredPORK Happy Poo Poo

I've tried cold turkey -- does not work for me.
    I've tried mints -- does not work for me.
    I've tried writing -- does not work for me.
    I've tried... well, a lot of damn things that just hasn't worked for me.

Chantix... I've heard so many people talk about it, and so many people who have tried and have been successful. I want to know though... will it work? What goes with it? They say you can still smoke while on Chantix but the cigarette will taste horrible (good thing, right?).

I've been smoking for awhile now and I'm in the phase of the wanting to stop because I know I need to. The wanting to stop because it will help me in my goals.

The problem for me though, is trying to find a solution. I've been thinking of Chantix... should I try it? Have any of you? What were your side effects? :o

2. ChuckNades

ChuckNades Active Member

I have a few friends that used it. 2 of them quit smoking, and the other smoked while taking it and it made him sick as fuck. If you really want to quit it couldn't hurt though right?

3. gnat

gnat New Member

I've used it, seemed to work pretty good. Didn't really care to smoke after being on it a few days.

4. dubious

dubious Member

cigs didnt really taste bad - the urge just started diminishing. Went from 1.5 packs daily to prob 1/2 a pack within 2 weeks. One morning, just decided that was the day - and threw away what I had left.

Chantix helped with the physical addiction, but you still have to break the "habit". Wintergreen Lifesavers were my crutch. 6 months on Oct 21st. I had smoked for 17 years, and honestly loved smoking - I had serious doubts that it would work for me.

I wholeheartedly recommend Chantix. Be aware of possible side effects - though mine were minor (vivid dreams - slight depression).

5. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

You forgot suicidal thoughts.

6. registeredPORK

lol...

I wanted to thank you guys for the info 'cause I called my doc and this is my second week (started last Sunday).

The urge to want to smoke has started diminishing (haven't smoked >24 hours), although the habit of it is hard...

For example, I'll be in the car driving and be like "Oh, I want to smoke now..." or when I'm taking a walk or something or after I eat...

I've been taking mints but that doesn't really help. After taking Chantix I am having really vivid (fucked up) dreams, some slight depression but no suicidal thoughts yet.

I dreamed about banging a hot army chick :( The process of getting there was really weird too.

Anyway, seems to be working so far. I think most of my smoking stemmed due to the fact that I was stressed, and bored.

BTW dubious, did you have any stomach problems while taking chantix?

7. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

lol wut? Shit must make you trip, shits like an oxymoron :rofl:. Im trying to slow down/ quit myself. Keep us updated because I might like to try this shit in the future if the side effects arent too bad. :o

8. registeredPORK

Well, if you wanna know hte specific of the dream, it was just plain ass weird. I was dreaming that me and SO went shopping at a mall and we played little games, while at our apartment, my baby sister came over just to watch the place. We came home and I found a monkey in one of our rooms. I was freaking out, wondering what a monkey was doing there, but in fact, it was a child. (weird so far, right?) In any case, the monkey-child was pretty hungry and he grabbed this weird looking fruit (I think it was a dragon fruit!) and I asked my baby sister why she had this monkey-child in the apartment. She said the parents dropped him off and my SO said in a very casual way that "It happens all the time."

Apparently (in my dream) parents will leave or force their kid upon someone else while they go do whatever the hell they do. (Why the fuck do I remember shit like this??)

Anyway, I was wanting to do something with the kid and was thinking that maybe it's best to just keep him overnight and then take him to children/social services. 24 hours go by, no parents, so I take the monkey-child with me to go look for someone that can help me.

When I walk outside, we're at war... with ALIENS!!! WTF right? I mean, we have aliens on our side too, but we were all fighting the other aliens. :o The monkey-child was following behind when I meet this hot army chick in some scrubs. Fuck she was gorgeous. Like, tall, redish-brown hair, slight freckles on face, juicy lips :o

I asked her what department she worked in, she said something and I was like, "Naw, that's not what I'm looking for." Turned around and started walking away and then she was like, "I used to work for the PD if that makes a difference."

Ding, ding, ding. Asked her about the monkey-child and etc and then she said to "stay still" and I turned around where there's this huge ass spider coming down and I freak out (I hate spiders) and I dive into her boobies and well... it goes from there.

Hot lesbo sex :o

I don't remember much of last night's dream but I do remember waking up feeling pretty damn weirded out too. Maybe this will be a common occurrence and I can stop freaking out about it.

I slipped up last night and felt pretty damn guilty about it. I just finished eating, and the SO and I were cruising towards the theaters and lit one up... which got me to thinking, quitting smoking makes you like a bulimic. You slip up and you feel ultra guilty, and then you wanna vomit what you ate... except when you're smoking and feeling guilty about it, you can't really vomit anything out. :/

9. registeredPORK

Oh, one thing that I can definitely say about taking chantix is that it makes my mind run a bit faster...

10. registeredPORK

I had another weird ass dream last night.

Roger, from American Dad, came to live with me and the SO. I then proceeded to call this psychic about our relationship, and I hate two pieces of candy: one to make our heads bigger, and another to make or bodies a bit bigger too. This effected everyone even though I was the only one taking it.

Roger came out and was going to ask the SO something and he froze and said, "Why is your head so big? ... Ohh--..." and then he froze and was petrified.

Woke up feeling :wtf:ish

I feel tired today. This is hte first morning since I've taken Chantix that I feel super tired... like I didn't get enough sleep when I've gotten the regular 7-8 hours. :o

11. registeredPORK

... weirdest dream by far:

I'm this schizophrenic girl with long hair that's braided. Another girl comes up with scissors and starts trimming away at the ends while a guy eggs her on. I tell her to stop in a really shy, scared way. After a little while I get tired of it, angry, I take the scissors away and open them to her throat.

I have these crazy eyes and crazy smile... and say: "I told you to listen to. Do you want me to kill you now?"

I force the girl and the guy to have sex.

The guy turns into a stalactite, the girl this giant mold that is atttached to one of those open refrigerator you see at gas stations that holds those pre-packed deli express sandwiches.

They both moan, and how the girl would orgasm as mold is to vomit... I mean, their faces were still there... like eyes, mouth... possibly nose...

woke up feeling really weird and wondering why i was schizo in my dream.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just finished taking my second week of Chantix. Things has been going great and I've been doing better at controlling the triggers. In fact, I was able to hang out with someone who is still smoking and supports me not smoking. I thought it was a good challenge, and good of me to not smoke even though I went outside with him.

I did, however, decided consciously to smoke a cigarette today. There are days I feel afraid of "what's next after I stop smoking?" ... it's kind of retarded in a way. I mean, I guess for me I have known smoking as a release. . . something to do socially, something to do when I'm bored or whatever. I've also been smoking for 7 years, so the thought of actually being able to not pick up a cigarette is kind of ... I don't know, scary I guess. What am I suppose to do next?

12. cd7

cd7 how troublesome

cool dreams, did insurance cover your prescription? just wondering whats the price range for this, im interested but i dont have insurance :hs:

13. registeredPORK

My pharmaceutical insurance did cover Chantix (my health and pharmacy insurance are different from each other). It was only $20 since that is the most that they can charge you for name brand things if a generic is not available.

So, $20 for 4 weeks (it's their starting pack) is not bad at all. I'm in my third week here and I've been able to deal more with my triggers. Soon I'll forget that they exist. What I have recently been doing is leaving all my lighters and such at home and just carry a pack with me or something. That way I can't just smoke if I reach in without thinking about it, and if I do want one, I will consciously have to ask someone for a lighter or so and I hate doing that.

If I remember correctly, the original retail price was about $120 ... comparing this to nicotine patches, the patches are a lot cheaper but I found that I was allergic to whatever they put on the patches, and I believe you have to start quitting right away when you use it.

With Chantix, you can still smoke the first week and they recommend you not starting to quit in the second week. They also understand that you might have slip ups and that's fine but the urges have just stopped that I don't feel the need to go outside constantly. Like I posted before, it's really dealing with the psychological effects of nicotine (triggers).

It might be $120 now, but think about how much you'll be saving in an entire year. They're only going to be getting more expensive... they're almost ~$6 a pack now with tax and all. So if you buy 2 a week, that's ~$12.

12x52 = 624$ you'll be saving a year plus some when prices start to go up. That means you'll be saving ~$52 a month. I think it will be worth it if you're really considering in quitting.

haven't had a weird dream in the last two nights!

14. registeredPORK

I've feel more anxiety then ever the last couple of days...

Weird dreams are still happening but I don't remember a bunch of it like I used to. Which is fine by me in honesty... ¬_¬

15. dubious

dubious Member

Did have increased gas. I did have very weird dreams - details of which I don't recall now, but they were way out there.

Still doing well after the 1 smoke?

Shortly after quitting, I would walk out to the "smoking" area to socialize and what not. Still do every now and then. Sort of a test to myself, and I honestly still enjoy the smell of fresh cig smoke. What I do not enjoy is the smell of 1 yr old stale smoke on my jacket I just dug out of the closet and left in my car (non smoked in) overnight. :barf:

I still have occasional urges, but I know as soon as I gave in to one, that would open the door to others. It is the length of time that I have gone without smoking that makes it easier to continue (if I have just one, that 6 months without was a waste and I'm back where I started). Chantix certainly made it easier, but I don't want to go through the beginning again.

My insurance (BCBS) did not cover chantix, so it was $120 out of pocket for each month supply. I was spending approx $50 a week for smokes before, so it was a wash.

16. registeredPORK

Well, it's good to know I'm not the only one who have experienced increase in gas... bloating too :(

Anyway, after the 1 smoke I felt guilty like the fat kid who's eating a big piece of cake with another one in the other hand. Pretty depressing when I think about it.

I'm doing pretty good after the 1 smoke. Actually, when I think about it I'm doing surprisingly well even in my third week. I slip up isn't bad, the urges have stopped, and it's just the triggers.

One thing that I'm scared of is, "what's next?" I don't know, sounds kinda dumb but, smoking has always filled the time between doing things or w/e. How did you work that out?

$20 for Chantix is not too bad for me. I probably spend more then that a month on cigarettes so I guess it's a money saver too.

I'm starting to understand the icky smell of smoke on clothes/car/etc... and someone else smoking. I don't think it was just the smoking that I enjoyed though, but the doing it too. The feeling of the cigarette butt, all that and etc.

My nose has been running and I have been sneezing a lot more. Maybe my nasal is finally clearing itself of the smoke :mamoru:

17. dubious

dubious Member

re: Filling in the time. Life before quitting revolved around when I could get my next smoke in. Outside of sleeping, I dont think I ever went more than 2 hours without a smoke. Office smoke breaks were every 1-1.5 hours (which was certainly a time sink). To be honest, I don't even miss the office smoke breaks at all now. I'll look up at the clock, and it's lunch time. It's great not having to worry about long car rides, long meetings, airplane rides, etc.. and when I can get the next fix.

Before, I spent much of my time @ home in my basement (smoking area) on the computer, rather than upstairs with wife and daughter. It was funny, the first week, my wife actually said it was "weird" having me upstairs all the time (in a good way).

One coping mechanism is munching on anything in sight. I did this, and put on about 20lbs as a consequence (getting rid of that is new years resolution).

18. registeredPORK

Smoking at work was never an issue for me; I wouldn't smoke at work and if I did, it was before I came in, and after I'm done. Nothing in between unless I went out for lunch instead of bringing my own lunch with me... sometimes I would forget about lunch all together.

But ... you're right ... being able to not look at the clock and wonder when the next fix is during meetings, car rides, airplane rides... might feel better. :)

I'm taking mints :o

19. registeredPORK

I had the coolest dream ever last night... is it bad that I woke up disappointed? :hsd:

I really wish it was true :o cuz it would of been fucking awesome as hell.

20. registeredPORK

Ok, is it pretty sad when I'm still pretty much wishing my dream the other night was true?? :o

on another note, into my fourth week!!! Last pack, then I'm going ot test myself... I'm hoping I won't need another month's worth!

Yesterday I was driving home from my Mom's and thought to myself, "Hm, I should go buy a pack" beause nothing was really "stopping" me from buying a pack but guess what? I DIDN'T! ha!

I'm going through the period of denying that I'm quitting but knowing that I'm quitting. It's so weird... >< and hard because I'm doing it to myself which sucks.

21. Negative Ions

Negative Ions New Member

I tried it for a few days, and it made me feel like complete shit for some reason. I still have most of it left, and may try it again. I also have the patch. And yes, I still smoked while taking it and cigs did taste worse than normal. I hate the taste anyway though.

22. registeredPORK

I've found that when I don't eat a bit before taking them, I start to get queasy and want to throw up and shit... so I usually just eat a bit, and pop both of them at night (I know, it says 1 for day and 1 for night) but I don't feel like driving groggy.

So if I am feeling queasy, I just fall asleep and it goes away. woo!

I tried the patch but I'm allergic to whatever is in it.

23. registeredPORK

Is dreaming about dung beetles.... weird?

24. registeredPORK

Yeah, I can understand why your doc didn't prescribe it to you. To be honest, for the first week or two I was definitely feeling a lot more depressed then usual. It probably would of enhanced it.

I tried the rule thing too but you know... didn't pan out too well. :o

Guys, this is my last pack!!! Saturday will be my last day of Chantix... and honeslty, I haven't been thinking about smoking or naything lately. Well, I lie... sometimes I'll be like "oh a cigarette would be nice" but at the end of the day, I forget about the thought, and I forget about wanting to, and I forget about it all... so woo!

25. MassMan

MassMan OT Supporter

i'm only a nurse, but i've had patients say that its helped them :dunno:

if you are predisposed to depression like you alluded to in post 25, what about wellbutrin?