MIL Changing your rating at Navy boot camp?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Teh Jebus, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Teh Jebus

Teh Jebus Active Member

I was told by recruiters and other people currently in the navy that I would have to opportunity to change my rating before I started bc, but then I'm hearing from other people currently in the navy that that's not true at all. Can anyone confirm/deny?

2. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

its a case by case situation involving time, availability, your personal situation and how much work the people are willing to do for you...

3. nayt1

nayt1 New Member

you can change while in DEP if the recruiter likes you and will work for it, but once you get to boot camp, you're fucked, no matter what anyone tells you.

4. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

as mentioned if you're in DEP and have a ship out date and your recruiter likes you and you can still ship out at the same time they might work with you and the career counselor. However if you're already slated in certain fields they won't work with you at all on anything. You can however still say fuck it and NOT join up. You aren't officially in the military until you make your final swear in.

5. Sharkticon

Sharkticon The safest place in combat is on an AEGIS Class Gu

I guess things have changed since I went to boot camp back in '88.

Half way through, we were given the opportunity to select ratings we were qualified for based on our initial ASVAB scores. We were plainly asked,

"Here's info on the rate you chose and here's info on the rates you are qualified for and that are available. Would you like to change your rating?"

A lot of recruits in my company took advantage of it because our CC was blunt about giving us the correct information regarding various ratings in the Navy.

6. rsneddon

rsneddon New Member

bootcamp was gay and there is no changing at bootcamp when you leave meps for bootcamp thats what your going to be

7. Sharkticon

Sharkticon The safest place in combat is on an AEGIS Class Gu

I guess it's changed since I was in boot back in '88.

When I went through, one morning was dedicated to rating swaps/changes. Based on your ASVAB, they would offer you the other ratings that you qualified for.