Changing usernames in WinXP

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by FallNAngel, Apr 22, 2004.

1. FallNAngel

FallNAngel ...destroyer of threads...

Well, my fiance recently got a new Vaio laptop with WinXP on it and she set up a username during the initial setup/boot of the computer as normal. A bit later, she decided to change it... no problem, right? Control Panel -> User Settings and change the user name. All is peachy. Now here's where the problem comes in. If she turns off fast user switching, she still needs to type in the *old* username to log in, even though once she's logged in, it keeps showing her new username. Anyway to change this?! If it makes any difference, this is the administrator account (she's the only one who will be using the laptop) I know how this is done in Win2k, but I despite WinXP ... any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Mickey Free

Mickey Free Guest

change the old user name back to what it was, and just create another account? just an easy work-around solution, no?

3. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

I've had this problem before...

Go to Start Menu-> Run

Type in:
    control userpasswords2

Change the username there and it will reflect globally.

4. FallNAngel

FallNAngel ...destroyer of threads...

thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you

My only complaint is that it doesn't change her user directory in D&S, but I'm happy enough that her name is what it should be now. Good Lord I hate XP Home.