Changing the keymap on Windows

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Penguin Man, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Hi all,

This term I have the misfortune of having a course where the lab is on Windows (it's computer architecture and we use VHDL with FPGAs that only have Windows software). Now, I don't have to do a whole lot of real coding work in the lab (I can do it elsewhere then go to the lab and test), but I do find myself writing code to kill time while the TA gives his presentation. Unfortunately, as an emacs user who is used to having control in the Right Place (where some idiot decided capslock should go), I find myself wanting to kill something whenever I go to this lab.

So, without administrator permissions, is there any way to swap the control and capslock keys? Also, on a slightly related note, is there any way to get multiple desktops (also without admin priveleges)?

2. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Depends on if, as a non-admin, you can install software. Multiple desktops is easy. There is a MS powertoy for it. I think it will work without admin rights.

Remapping the keyboard is a problem though. Windows has a registry setting to do this, but it is in HKLM, which non-admins don't have modify rights to, just read. There is a program from PCMag (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0%2C1895%2C764194%2C00.asp) that can change the mappings, but it won't work if you don't have admin rights. Most other utilities (SharpKeys, etc) all use the Windows Scancode Mapper (a.k.a. those reg keys you can't change).

Virtual Desktop Manager from here -http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Remap CapsLock (ironicly this was the first link I found searching for how to remap) http://www.usnetizen.com/fix_capslock.html

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The MS powertoy isn't "real" multiple desktops, it just selectively hides windows according to which desktop you say they should be on, but it does the job well enough I suppose. I, for one, can't get used to multiple desktops -- but then, I also don't like tabbed browsing in Firefox. I dunno -- I just want all my shit in one place so I can see it all at once, and a single desktop with a single taskbar does a fine job of providing me with that.

Why should Ctrl be in the middle of the leftmost column of keys? I don't use it any more often than Caps Lock, what's the benefit of having it in one place instead of another?

4. Penguin Man

Those of us who use emacs a lot like to have control in a place that's easy to reach (since the vast majority of emacs keybindings start with control). Some people who use vi(m) like to put escape there, since that's what they use a lot. It just makes using emacs (which I do a lot) more comfortable.

5. Penguin Man

Hm, cool. It looks like the one you linked me to is for XP, and I think the lab is on 2k, but I'll give it a shot anyway. I should be able to install software into my home directory.

Yeah, I've done it before by changing the registry, but that won't work without admin priveleges. I guess I may be hooped there. Oh well, I only have to use it for a couple hours a week for the next six weeks or so, so I'll survive.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Fine, give me a good reason then. How am I supposed to argue with you now, huh?

Asshole.

:fawk:

7. Penguin Man

Try, though you might, you will never be jollyogre. :mamoru:

Yeah, it's just a comfort thing and a personal preference.