SRS Changing my whole life (going to college later in life)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by el_gato_negro, Apr 12, 2006.

1. el_gato_negro

el_gato_negro New Member

I've come to accept recently that my situation sucks. I make a decent amount of money - enough to live on with some left for play, but nothing spectacular. I will doubtlessly earn more money as I spend more time at my job, but I don't see my earnings growing very far.

The job itself is OK. I won't go into details, but it's decent. There are certainly worse positions to have. However, I don't want to just "settle". I'd hate to spend another forty years here simply because it's easy. My heart just isn't in it.

In the last day or so I've been seriously considering going to Full Sail. I've dreamed of recording and producing but have never taken practical steps towards it. Making this happen would require me dropping everything in my life and starting over. I'd have to liquidate pretty much every non-essential I own (and maybe a few essentials, like a car), move 1500 miles and go into a ton of debt (loans and such). Needless to say, the thought is exciting but very scary. I'm a financially established adult, and I'd have to give up all that security to do this. My family can't help me beyond moral support.

I know that I have to get off my ever-widening ass and JUST DO IT, but the possibility of risking it all and losing is terrifying. I don't know that I can expect any advice, but I needed to "talk" about it. If anyone's been in my situation and wants to encourage me, that's fine. :hs:

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

When you are in doubt, don't do it.

That's my rule of life, which has served me so far. To be honest that full sail seems artificial as fuck. I wouldn't gamble it if i didn't had to financial backbone to get out of it , so for this whole situation im raising a red flag. It doesn't sound good at all.

Of course like Full metal alchemist philosophy ' nothing can be gained without making a sacrifice ' which i hold for true, if you dont risk you can't progress, but risks come at a variety of level, this full sail seems to be a very high stake. I hope you know what you are doing. But if you have something to fall back on, you might want to give it a shot. I personally am against it. But i play my life on safe.

3. el_gato_negro

el_gato_negro New Member

Apparently quite a number of their graduates have gone on to work on big albums/movies/games etc. It seems like they're well respected :dunno:

4. Fallout Girl

Fallout Girl New Member

Is there any way that you would be able to do part time work and school, try to keep a little on top of things as you go along so you aren't over your head when you get done?

5. gsxec

gsxec New Member

Yeah I wouldnt take the chance and lose it all. Be careful. Lifes a bitch I totally understand your situation. Im also a student who supports himself with a average job.

6. el_gato_negro

el_gato_negro New Member

Well yeah, I'd have to work a part time job at the least. The point is for what I want to do I have to leave a decent-paying but ultimately dead-end job. There isn't a program like what I want anywhere near Maine. Actually, there isn't a lot in Maine, period. :hsd:

The point is I can slowly suffocate to death over forty years being comfortable, or take a chance and maybe get a lot further in life.

7. el_gato_negro

el_gato_negro New Member

So they were already in the industry when they attended FS?