MIL Changing MOS and going from Reserve to Active when going to IRR ??

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by EYOB, Mar 17, 2008.

1. EYOB

EYOB Guest

I go to the IRR in December. I'm currently just a Reservist.

I've thought about going active, especially after getting a prep talk from other Marines this past Drill Weekend. As some of you may know, I hate the MOS I am currently in. And the only way I would consider going Active, is if I went into a different MOS. I would only be able to do that after my 6 year reserve contract is up. Then I have 2 years left in the IRR. With that 2 years left, I was thinking of doing another MOS on Active Duty.

First off, is this even possible ??
    If it is, I may seriously look into different occupational specialties. Currently, I am just an E-4. But it would be nice if I could get to E-5 before going into the IRR.

Any Marines know if I'd have to wait 7 or 12 months before I can get promoted to Sgt ?? I got promoted to Corporal in January.

2. spin360

spin360 Guest

Try and get a conditional release from your current unit before you head into IRR, otherwise you'll be waiting a long time in IRR before you get an opportunity to join the active side. That way you can go directly from reserve to active without much of a delay.