Changing hardrives on portables. Is it a matter of just swapping?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by forgotmyname, Nov 13, 2008.

1. forgotmyname

forgotmyname Active Member

I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 with two problems. First LCD screen inverter got fucked up, so the screen went dim. Second, the hardrive started clicking so it's gone.

Now, I am looking around for cheap hardrives, but my question is, will any hardrive do?

Also, is it just a matter of swapping them besides installing the new OS on it, or does it need any extra configurations?

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

For the most part yes. There are some ultra-low profile laptops that have proprietary drives, I doubt the shitty Dell is one of them. You'll need to pop it out to see if it's SATA or PATA - PATA has many pins, SATA doesn't.

3. forgotmyname

Ok. The only thing I don't like about laptops is that you have to open the whole freaking thing, unlike desktops.

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Most Dell laptops have one screw and a clip and the drive slides out. A few I have seen have maybe 3 or 4 screws, but you don't have to open the whole thing to get to the drive.

Dell does not use any kind of proprietary drive. Just find out it is SATA or PATA and buy it anywhere...

I also had a back-light go out on one of our work laptops. I couldn't figure out if it was the inverter or back-light itself, so I found a screen for $99 and went that route.

5. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Yeah, in a lot of ways, taking out a drive in a laptop is actually easier :mamoru:

6. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

my dell has two screws and then the hard drive slides right out the side... easier than replacing a desktop hard drive :mamoru:

7. forgotmyname

Oops, I got it wrong. I had opened it before to add ram, and clean the fan, but I overlooked one spot, where the microphone and headphones inputs go and that was the spot for the hardrive.

8. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

And I've seen it where a keyboard, palm rest, cd drive and lcd have to come off before a hard drive can.

9. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

poor design ftl

10. Bobalu

Bobalu New Member

jus buy an oem hardrive reinstall os and your set you'll need a harddrive reader to access or clone the old hardrive to get old files unless already backed up externally then you need all your computer drivers which could be a hassel