Changing default application (Or, Photoshop eats babies)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ubisquo, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Ubisquo

Ubisquo New Member

Since i've installed Photoshop ALL my image files seem to have randomly decided which program they'll open with, PShop or Preview. There doesn't seem to be much consistancy, some open in Preview, others will open in PS. What i'd like is to have every-image-format-ever-except-.psd open in Preview, which *I* thought would be as simple as clicking 'always open with' but NO! Even after having done that, Pshop still clings to them like a woman to her foster-child.

Effectively i want to snip this child, and give it back to the true mother.

Help? :)

(oh! Running Tiger, and Photoshop 7)

2. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

If you save a file in photoshop, the next time you open it will be in photoshop. Because of image preview, it can be dficult to remember which application will open that specific image. If you get info on the file, you can choose which application will open that file, and if all files of that type should open in that application.

3. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

What he said ^^^

also, the way to tell which ones will open in preview and which ones will open in Photoshop:

Photos that will open in Preview have a preview file icon whereas photoshop files are a small thumbnail image of the file.

4. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

usually, but not always. exmple: stuff I download from my digital camera is thumbnailed by the Image Capture program, but will open in preview by default. just wanted to make the distinction :hs: the only real way to know is to do the get info trick to set the default app, like colosodian said.

5. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

Fortunatly, when you view a file in preview and close it, it will update the thumbnail.

Unfortunatly, so does photoshop.

6. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

really? I've never had it do that. Only when I save or resave.

7. Ubisquo

Ubisquo New Member

Hurrah! That fixed it! :big grin: It seems odd that there's 2 ways to set the default app, but i guess it makes sense (one for that file, and one for all file types).

Thanks very much, my images are now returned to their rightful parent.