Changing a raid..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DigiCrime, Oct 22, 2009.

1. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

Not to fluent with raid configurations so here goes..I have a raid 1 setup and a raid 5 setup with one hotspare. I need more space in the server and the only drive I have available is the hotspare which is part of the raid 5 config. I'm asuming to use this drive I would have to delete the raid 5 configuration and recreate a new array but I'll loose the data that was on is on the current raid 5 in doing so wouldn't I ? or how could i activate that drive to give me more space? This is a proliant 350GL

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

You'd have to create a new array and in doing so, you'd end up losing your data.

You could replace the active drives one by one and then resize the array with something like Acronis server tools, I've done that before, just make sure you have a good backup before you do that.

3. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

4. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

this is what i was looking for basically so data loss is eminent deleting the array and creating a new one. What I can do is move the data over to a external drive for now and just create the new array at least. raid1 is the os, raid 5 is just a file storage

I dont have a utility no, installing pdf reader so I can look at this, thanks!

5. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

No data loss is not eminent in this case. If your controller has a working battery backup and supports this feature, it will grow your raid5 set with that extra disk while retaining all of the data.

but before you perform tasks like this on any controller large or small, always ensure you have a recent back of the data you may be affecting. that is just best practice.

6. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!