Changed MAC Address

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Eigervue, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Eigervue

Eigervue New Member

So my network connection has been temporarily shut down and I was told that I would recieve an email about the reason why it happened. I recieved no email and need the internet to study for finals so knowing that they block MAC addresses I changed mine. Now supposedly this is againts their policy also but failing classes becasue of mistakes isnt part of my policy either. So I changed my MAC address now the question is could they find out that I did so, cant I just say I am using a different computer or another network card....

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I believe the MAC is the only signature that is unique to your PC. They can't know you didn't just change the card. Theoretically... if the address you assigned is outside the block assigned to the manufacturer of your NIC, someone could check if you changed it if they have physical access to your machine... but unless your college is a police state, forget about it.

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

How do u receive an email if your internet doesn't work?

4. Chase

Chase Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck yo

local email server

5. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

my school used to do the same thing. never bothered chasing down people who changed mac addresses. what they did do was look at ports and shut off repeat violator ports regardless of mac. (so just dont fuckup with this mac)