challenge moi

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Leb_CRX, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

ok as some of you seen I am teh suck!!!!11 at programming

someone post up some things I can do (that does not include web dev), and is not too complicated...and by complicated I mean advanced...beginner/int is good, anything above that I am hard..you be the judge and use common sence for beg/int levels

we can even make a contest out of it (ya hear that astro? ;))

I am bored, need to get back into programming and can't think of anything useful to write...I almost wrote a calculator yesterday adn remember I am not in high school anymore :hs:

2. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Just go to different colleges websites and find the class pages for programming classes. They normaly have the current project guidlines online.

Just an example:
    http://www.cse.msu.edu/~cse231/

3. Leb_CRX

:bigthumb:

4. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Actually, a calculator program could be a very interesting problem. Order of operations, stack pushing/popping, and recursion can really spice things up. This might be a bit more than what you were thinking...

This would be one challenging Assembler project. In C/C++, I'd predict about ~20 lines of code unless you're making it pretty or GUI based. This could also be done in any other language.

5. Leb_CRX

ya I did it with VB and it was fairly easy, gonna probally do it in C# just cause...

as for stack pushing/popping and recursion where would I need that??
    like a simple example, cause maybe I am making my calc too simple..it will do the operations as they come in, not holding data, for example

9+5*3 = 42, and not 9+(5*3)=24...but that's an idea, just wouldn't think it'd be alright...what you think? since the data is entered as 9, +, 5, *, 3..it would do it as the data is entered

and yes GUI+pretty-ness is what i'm all about, I hate making text based stuff even though I have on many occasions, IMO putting that extra bit of effort and making it GUI is worth it

6. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

With pushing/popping, you end up using a stack. Which actually solves a couple variable logistic issues. By using the stack, you don't have to directly declair a particular amount of memory. You can also toss the answer back on the stack and keep processing the equation. When all you have left is one number on the stack, you know you're done and that number is the answer. This is where recursion could come in (this would determine when recursion needs to come to a stop). The recursion would be used to solve one operation problems (which is really all an equation is). The trick is defining the order of operations and recursion is a rather elagant solution to this. I had this as a programming assignment (I think) for data structures and algorithms 1 class.

7. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Sweet! I found the code. It was our 5th assignment in DSA (wonder if I can find the original assignment). I may try looking for it today. The code is pretty intense. If I was told to do this today, I'd be pretty stuck. I've got classes, template classes, and all sorts of other goodies used to make this program work.

Its been a while, but looking at the code, it doesn't appear that I used recursion for this... Or if I did, I'm not seeing it right now.

8. NolanTA

NolanTA You talkin' to me? OT Supporter

When I was first learning VB, the first thing I put together was a little app that would accept a date, then calculate if it was future or past, how many days away, weeks away, hours away, etc.. what day of the week, etc.

It didn't have a lot of use, but I learned a little about interfaces, and a whole lot about date functions, which is still pretty useful today (this was probably 8 years ago).

9. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Here's the program assignment:

http://www.cs.uakron.edu/~margush/old/210/PGM5.html

In this assignment, you are to accept postfix notation (similar to how HP calculators do it - example: 100 200 -3 * +). For ours we had to take in standard input which I think is much more difficult because of order of operations for parathesis (postfix works around the parethesis problem). I wasn't able to find the original assignment online. I might try digging out my DSA folder if I can find it...

10. Leb_CRX

cool, the GUI is done, I will catch you on AIM and ask you a few questions ASTRO :)

thanks