MIL Chain of command problem..

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Jbeanz, May 24, 2007.

1. Jbeanz

Jbeanz OT Supporter

Here's my story , im a Cpl , didnt see eye to eye with my SSgt on something , refused to listen to me and didnt wanna hear my side and this bothered me and a fellow NCO said talk to the OIC which is a captain. So i discussed it with the captain and at the end he basically said hes not giving his opinion because i was out of line to ask him , plus the fact that i didnt give my SSgt warning of contacting the captain so now im up shits creek and the captain was the next in my COC ..was i right or wrong ? discuss...

2. what was the disagreement?

3. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

don't you have an NCOIC?

4. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

you should have went to the PSG or 1SG before going to the CO. you have to work up the chain of command instead of going directly to the top.

5. Jbeanz

Jbeanz OT Supporter

I didnt go to the CO i went to the OIC of my department who is directly above my SSgt.

My SSgt is above my NCOIC i cant take things downhill.

And the disagreement was over me not wanting to go to a 3 weeks traning session thats is all year around because im going to miss 3 smaller traning sessions that dont come around often.

6. Sharkticon

Sharkticon The safest place in combat is on an AEGIS Class Gu

What you want to do and what needs to be done are 2 entirely different things.

Hell, I was scheduled for Career Management training (certification level course which costs $$$ on the outside) when Cobra Gold came up. Where did I end up? THAILAND! Because that's where I was required/needed to be.

7. Lockfinn

Lockfinn Fanboi

Pretty sure your COC looks like this:
    You -> Sup -> 1st Shirt -> Officers

And he's right, you should've told the SSgt you were going to take it up the chain, not only is it directed but it's just screwed up to do that behind someone's back.

8. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

So from what your saying you do not have an e-7 or e-8 above you? So when there is a formation it is you then your SSgt and then the CO? Sumptin about that doesn't seem to jive.

9. Jbeanz

Jbeanz OT Supporter

Ok to clear things up this is my COC...

Sgt - NCOIC
    SSgt - SNCIOC
    Capt - OIC
    MgySgt - Maint. Chief
    Major - Maint. Officer
    SgtMaj - SgtMaj
    LtCol - CO

10. Kazzander

Kazzander I only got this for the search.

If you had already discussed your problem with your NCOIC and he referred you to the SNCOIC, who refused to even hear you out, your next course of action should have been Request Mast. Going by the book, you can't speak to the OIC without the SNCOIC's blessing -- so if he won't give it, this is your only recourse.

Realistically, I never could stand it when officers would tell you that they have an "open-door" policy, and would even go so far as to say "it doesn't matter what it is, if you've got a problem, come talk to me", but when a situation like the above came up, all you'd get is crap about jumping the chain of command. It should be as simple as "Sir, the SNCOIC wouldn't even hear what I had to say", but then the Corps has a bad habit of choosing to do things in the most difficult and complicated way possible.

Good luck man, hope you didn't fuck yourself into some holiday duty for it!

11. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

tell him to shutup and help take care of a problem rather than sitting around drinking coffee all day

12. darnit

darnit New Member

Open door does not mean just walk in..it means if you go through the proper channels your right to seek higher authority will taken seriously, but you have to go about things correctly.

You told your Ssgt.. he basically said.. oh well.. then you should have said.. Yes SSGt.. and then said.. I want to let you know I want to take this up the COC.. If he denied you, request mast. You have rights , but you are also require to be professional.

poor grammar and spelling due to being damn tired and not enough coffee

13. djbuzzfuzz

djbuzzfuzz OT Supporter

U at Miramar?