GUN CETMe=wow!!

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Furner, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Furner

Furner New Member

I got to try out a CETME today at the range i joined, and WOW, that thing rocks, and from what I have seen, you can get them cheap. The fluted chamber thing rocks, but I think that partially causes the severe brass discharge. Is the fluted chamber a standard feature or is that something extra?
    The guy that owns it is really cool, I finally found a local firearms enthusist around my age. He worked on teaching me to bumpfire on my AR and his FAL and CETME. I think he convinced me to buy either a CETME or a SKS (after I get some money stashed away). Are there any C&R CETME's?

2. Fook Yoo

Fook Yoo OT Supporter

yeah they're pretty cheap right now i think SOG or FAC has them for under 400 but you should try the FAL i think thats the best .308 and its getting pretty propular i paid 530 for my DSA ST88 a 1 1/2 year ago and now you cant buy them for under 700

3. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I have never heard of a fluted chamber before, are you sure you don't mean fluted barrel?

4. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

looks kind a like an mp5 :big grin:

5. Furner

Furner New Member

No, I mean fluted chamber. Look it up, im pretty sure all CETMEs have it.

6. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Ok, what benefit does fluting the chamber give? I can see having a fluted barrel, but why the chamber? Does it help it cool faster or add strength?

7. Furner

Furner New Member

Its fluted on the inside. When a round fires, gas is forced thru the flutes, and compresses the empty brass, practically ejecting itself.
    If you look at a empty brass, you can see the carbon marks from the burning gasses.

8. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Does it not have an ejector?

9. Furner

Furner New Member

It does, and boy, does it eject, I was shooting next to the side embankment of the range, and the brass was embedded into the sand. Its just that it does not require the heavy duty extractor and ejector that is on an AR type rifle.

10. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Cool, .308 is a badass round. I would like to get one, but my funds are very limited these days, I have only taken my SAR-1 out once since I got it, and my SKS hardly ever sees the range. If I get another gun, it will most likely be another handgun. I wouldn't mind having an FAL though.

11. Furner

Furner New Member

My next after a better trap gun will most certainly be either a CETME or a cheapass C&R SKS.

12. yuppiejr

yuppiejr Guest

The CETME is an interesting toy, modest recoil, fairly simple action, no troublesome gas sytem and relatively cheap to feed and accessorise. It's certainly a full size battle rifle firing a full size rifle round, at a stout 11 pounds or so WITHOUT ammo it's a bit of a load to carry around. You get what you pay for, Century does a hack job on a lot of these so I suggest not buying one site unseen. Remember, these are reassembled kit guns that are, for the most part, constructed of USED kits on new recievers so there is a lot of quality variances. I still think it's a better gamble than a Century "franken-FAL" based on the simpler delayed roller blowback action versus gas operation.

The Century installed muzzle brake is enough to stop most other shooters on the range cold though, it's not so bad from the operator end but anybody off to the sides gets a horrible deafening blast with each shot. I shell shocked my buddy the first time we went out, the combination of muzzle blast and hot brass ricocheting inside the enclosed shooting stand and into his lane next to me was enough to send him running. To this day he refuses to go shooting with me if I take the CETME along... bah.

Overall it's a decent value for the money, I've never had a misfire or mechanical malfunction with mine but I've heard horror stories from others. I'm actually considering selling mine along with a few pistols to reinvest in a 16" bull barrel Bushy AR-15 and a Makarov for backup CCW duty. IMHO the CETME is a good battle rifle for those who want 7.62 NATO firepower on a budget and don't want to spend premium dollars on a FAL or HK.

13. Furner

Furner New Member

yuppiejr, wanna sell it?

14. yuppiejr

yuppiejr Guest

I'd consider a local sale, not really interested in doing anything long distance due to the FFL/shipping complications. Email me via yuppiejr576 (@hotmail.com) if you're in the twin cities and we can discuss it further - maybe set up a demo over at Moon Valley in Shakopee.

15. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Fluted chambers are a bitch to clean. :sad2: But they will in fact, eject brass even if the extractor is broken so they tend to be more reliable in that aspect. Many HK designs like the MP5 and P7 also have fluted chambers.

CETMEs are alright for a cheap semi .308, but i wouldn't buy one without having someone who knows guns look over it and make sure all the parts are in good shape. There's a lot of junkers out there.

16. Sideways

Sideways Do I look like I give a damn?

I own both a Cetme G3 and a FAL. I can say with no doubt I like the FAL 1000x better than the Cetme.