cervical cancer and sex

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by MudRacer4x4, Mar 30, 2009.

1. MudRacer4x4

MudRacer4x4 New Member

Can you get any kind of stds or cancer from having sex with a girl who has cervical cancer? Is it an std or can you also get it by genetics.

I'd be greatful for any information or links

2. Jacy

Jacy red lipstick brigade

some strands of hpv higher the risk of cervical cancer, and most people who have cervical cancer, also have hpv. so... most likely, the girl has hpv, and you could get that from her.

3. just_another_on

just_another_on New Member

x2

Ask the girl for recent records/test results if possible.

4. MudRacer4x4

MudRacer4x4 New Member

she said she had the shot. Should I be tested for HPV? Her whole family has had cervical cancer

5. CorpseStreet

CorpseStreet New Member

You can't catch cancer and cancer is not an std. If her whole family has had cervical cancer that is probably why she has it now. There is still a good chance she got cervical cancer because of HPV. You should get checked for HPV and ask your girlfriend if she has been tested.

6. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Too bad as a male, the only tests are a DNA test (which no doctor is going to do for you), or if you have warts. Not to mention that something like 3/4 of the population has HPV around your age, and it doesn't really put males at risk. The real risk is to females, who should get the shot to effectively eliminate the risk.

In short, to the TS, I'm not responsible for anything that happens to you, but you won't catch her cancer and while it's possible she has HPV, you probably already have it anyways if you have been sexually active.

7. MudRacer4x4

MudRacer4x4 New Member

can it do anything to males?

8. D7

D7 OT Supporter

9. MudRacer4x4

MudRacer4x4 New Member

10. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

Like herpes, condoms won't always prevent the spread of HPV. Also, males will never know if they are actually carrying a strain that leads to increased risk of cervical cancer because those strains don't cause warts and males don't get pap smears. Also, something like 70% of people who do carry the strains that actually cause warts will never develop warts.

So basically, you have a 50/50 shot of either being a carrier or having been exposed to it already if you have had sex with someone who was not a virgin.

:dunno: I was talking to a chick I know who is doing her Masters thesis on STD's and the spread of them. Her opinion was, which is based on tons of research, is that HPV really isn't a big deal. Get the shot, get regular pap smears and you'll be fine is what she said.

11. kristaliah

kristaliah New Member

If she had hte shot she should be protected.

12. D7

D7 OT Supporter

The shot is prevention, not a treatment or a cure.

13. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

:rofl:

Yup, if you are already carrying the 4 or so strains the shot prevents you're pretty much stuck with it.

However, I still think that HPV is a pretty bullshit STD seeing as how there's a pretty high chance I or anyone else already carries at least one strain but doesn't and will never know. Ladies, get pap smears on the regular like you should be doing, use condoms and don't worry about it.

14. NuShooz

NuShooz OT Supporter

:rofl:

probably already answered, but HPV is considerably more dangerous in women than men. But def. wrap that shit

15. just_another_on

Your cock isnt long enough, dont worry about it.

:squint:

16. Kamekaze v.OT

Kamekaze v.OT New Member

The shot is also under tested and a huge risk...

17. veonake

Proof of huge risk? Or are you just anti-vaccine?

18. Abomb

Abomb New Member

I just found out one of my ex's back in the day from high school has/had cervical cancer. She was a total whore and apparently cheated on me and everyone else that she dated for that matter so I am sure her cervical cancer is hpv caused. Karma is a bitch.

19. veonake

Ok... so you posted links to pages that are anti-vaccine? Amazing that they might try to skew things as much as possible to make their argument.

OF COURSE long term effects are not known, it has only been around for a few years, and you need more than a few years to determine long-term effects, duh. The fact is that it has been shown to be incredibly effective in preventing cancerous lesions to occur that it is designed to prevent.

And yes, of course the trial was done with patients that did not have HPV... vaccines are not cures... hence you need to treat patients that don't already have the virus, that is how vaccines work...

Please show me evidence that the trial was selective for patients with little to no sexual history, because the trial I looked at says it was randomized http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17494925. I ask this question to most people having a scientific argument with me... but what science background do you have?

Btw, you absolutely can get HPV without having sex, sorry.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  20. veonake

The problem is, most people that choose not to vaccinate are going to anti-vaccine websites to "educate" themselves. I put that in quotes because there is plenty of misinformation on these websites, and sure you can learn the ingredients, and scare yourself that a vaccine contains aluminum for instance, and think "oh god, there is metal in this? Our bodies aren't supposed to contain metal" :rofl: And, because these people are not educated prior to going to these websites, they will have no idea what the physiological effects of various ingredients are.

No doctor/scientist will tell you that vaccines never have any adverse reactions, it's just that they have VERY FEW adverse reactions, and usually they are minor. The benefits outweigh the risks. In my opinion, if you choose to forgo the scheduled childhood vaccinations you are putting your child and the rest of the population at risk, and are making an ethically poor decision. Vaccines have made the world a healthier and safer place by far. I suggest reading this blog: http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/ He is a scientist and a surgeon, and presents very good analysis of scientific journals as well as articles written by those opposed to things like vaccinations.

21. just_another_on

do0ble post?

no wai.

22. just_another_on

:drool:

23. veonake

Honestly, I don't really care if you come from a "line of doctors". What is his job in the medical field? Not sure why you didn't give an actual title. My guess is he is a technician so doesn't have a broad scope of medical knowledge. But, I'm going to go ahead and LAUGH MY ASS OFF at the notion that better sanitation has decreased the spread of diseases that we have vaccinated against. For example, how much do you believe we have improved sanitation since 1958 in this country? Well, nearly 800,000 people in 1958 had measles. In 2008, about 64 did. 63/64 weren't vaccinated, and 54 were associated with infection from sources outside the country. So, still going to even attempt to argue sanitation could cause this effect? Btw, you still haven't answered my question about your own background.

Finally, I'm sorry to hear about your son's reaction. What exactly was the reaction and what evidence do you have that it was due to a vaccination?

24. veonake

Seriously? Giving a job title is personal information? That makes no sense, I'm not looking for personal info, and giving the title gets me no closer to finding it.

You said that he believes sanitation is what has lead to longer lives.. I made the jump that he really meant that sanitation has prevented the drastic decrease in disease that have been prevented from vaccines, not the vaccines themselves. I don't think people have said that vaccines have significantly increased average lifespan, but on an individual basis being vaccinated will surely prevent a premature end to life if you were to be exposed to the pathogen. You said you give vaccinations to your children, so no, I don't think you're unethical. Please give the reason why you feel it caused the reaction, I already told you I believe that it is possible to have a reaction to a vaccine, just that it is rare.

Vaccinations are not god's gift, they are (one of) scientists' gifts to society.

25. dumbaznboy

dumbaznboy New Member

uhm back on topic. It's late and my mind might not be working at 100% but cervical cancer is usually caused by HPV?