certs to get

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by thomor25, May 23, 2004.

1. thomor25

thomor25 I make money online....

I figure my mcse and ccna, should I go for the mcsa as well since its only like 2 tests off?

2. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

3. thomor25

Cool thanks for the link, I just got a job on a contract with the gov with my degrees and minor. So I want to make more money and feel this way I can progress through this side of the gov working for them and work my way up the IT ladder

4. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

that's the way. some jobs once you get them require that you get certs to advance. gov included - good thing is they will pay for the training, but you better study your ass off so you pass.

5. thomor25

mcse won't be that hard, i got the books and I took the 2 classes to pass in college but didn't take the tests cause I didn't have the money. But I'm gonna get cert books, pdfs, labs, and router sim software and everything.

6. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

MCSA + Two more tests = MCSE

Do you have any certs now? I'd at least start with A+ and Network +. They will show you have general computer and networking knowledge and in some cases you can use them to substitute a test or two while on the MSCA track.

Check out www.fravo.com for awesome study guides for any cert test.

7. thomor25

Well I have a bachlors in data communications and networking with a minor in management and an associates degree in networking and technical support so I hope I don't really need to get the a+ and network + but if its a must then I can

8. Stev

Stev Active Member

cisco is respected much much more then the generic certs according to people ive talked to in the field.... he speaks the truth ^^^

CCNA Cert isnt that hard, CCNP is pretty nice to have under ur belt.. im workin on that one right now.

9. Demo Dick

Demo Dick I will treat you all alike. Just Like Shit!

MCSE + No experience means jack squat.

I had 5 years experience as a SYSadmin before I got my MCSE. It is nice to have now that I have the knowledge & combined they do mean somthing.

MCSE by itself is worthless. I went to a boot camp to get my MCSE (company paid for it why the hell not) & their were some guys in there just like me that knew their shit & there were some that were total fucking idiots.

I will say this. the 2003 MCSE is harder than 2000, but either can be passed by someone that is good at taking tests & memorization. A guy in our class passes every test the first time & I would not trust him to order a pizza online with my computer. Seriously I swore the fucker had to be flat out cheating.

I failed one exam my 70-293 & then passed it the 2nd time no problem. My first test was literally 100% clustering questions. I know jack shit about clustering.

I would also say that CCNA & CCNP mean nothing without experience.

I am the network manager for my company & do the hiring of all the techies there now. All & all I would hire a guy with 5 years experence & no certs way before a guy with 5 certs & no experience.

CISSP is the cert I am going after now. It actually means somthing.

p.s. MCSE = Must Contact Someone Experienced.