Certifications

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cswfighter, Sep 11, 2008.

1. cswfighter

cswfighter New Member

Im looking for a good start on which certifications i should get. i know a little of everything but im not really going to programming mostly networking and hardware things like that. What would be a good start?

2. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i don't know... in the sys admin area i've never found certs to be worth anything. the problem with too many certifications is that you can pass them by studying how to pass the test. that means you can pass the test without any real knowledge about the subject at hand. that also means that people who know little to nothing about a subject think that getting a certification will convince someone that they actually know something.

but, that's just my experience after interviewing people for about 5 years. :)

i always recommend instead that you learn the subject at hand and find better ways into the industry if you aren't in yet. find an internship. hell, i had an intern working for me who was getting paid $25/hour. either that or volunteer at a school or something. get something on your resume that you've done the work and not something that said you passed a test.