GUN Certain Benchmade Knives restricted only to Law Enforcement???

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Straight_Six, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Straight_Six

Straight_Six Guest

I was looking around the Benchmade site and one of the knives that caught my interest seems to be restricted only to LE/Military personnel.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=3550

Read the red writing below the different model variations near the bottom.

Is there any way to purchase this knife other than having a hookup or being one of these personnel yourself?

2. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

That is my favorite Benchmade knife ever made. It's going to be illegal to carry in nearly every, if not all states. Even with a carry permit here in GA, I can't carry an auto-opening knife. It's retarded, but it's the way things are. You can possess them in most places, but carry is pretty much out of the question. There are exceptions in nearly every place, however, for blade lengths on autos, AND/OR for people with one hand. If you have both hands, look up your state's laws.

3. oakie

oakie my ninja.

auto openers are illegal in all states, counties, and municipalities except for LE/Military or EMT.

but "auto-opener" is defined differently depending on your locality. some areas define it as "any knife that can be opened with a single hand" while others define it as "any knife using a pushbutton to activate/open".

thus "assisted activation" knives are legal for carry in areas that define an auto-opener as the latter. i have a Benchmade auto-opener i bought when i was still active duty. i just recently bought a Kershaw "semi-auto" for my girlfriend with no legal issues locally, and no known legal implications relating directly to its use, ownership, and legality of carry.

4. Straight_Six

Straight_Six Guest

I've got a Kershaw knife with the "Speed-Safe' function that doesn't seem to have any legal issues here in Canada. I'm hoping that the same goes for this particular Benchmade.
    Anyone familiar with both the "Speed-Safe" from Kershaw and the Benchmade Auto-Open that would have any reason to believe one would be illegal while the other isn't? How does the auto-open on the Benchmade work?

5. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

i believe it is a push button spring loaded sidefolder.

6. oakie

oakie my ninja.

i have both.

the only difference is the Benchmade opens much faster as its spring release is truly design to auto open upon pushing the release button.

the Kershaw i gave my GF has no true "button" to release, and the opening function seems to serve dual purpose as not only to release the knife, but as a typical lockback spring to hold it closed.

so technically, the Kershaw is a two handed folder... but can be opened singlehandedly. seems to fall in a really wide gray area if you ask me.

7. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

if the kershaw you gave your gf is the one i'm thinking of, it has a torsion bar to assist the blade's opening movement. you still have to initiate that motion manually with your thumb pushing outward on the blade nub but its pretty effortless after that, almost opening entirely by itself using the initial momentum, as little as it was, you gave it.

still is a non-automatic knife and legal to carry here in louisiana.

8. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

Ya sure about that? Here in California you can have an auto-opener as long as it's not longer than an inch or something really short. And that's CALIFORNIA.

http://www.amatecon.com/switchblade.html

9. JonDaAzn

JonDaAzn New Member

yep, i live in california and i have a mini switchblade (blade is only like .5 inches long), its more convenient than a swiss army knife, btw i think benchmade offers a non auto version of that knife

10. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

ALL states, counties and municipalities?

http://www.amatecon.com/switchblade.html

11. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

so in WV I can conceal an autoknife with a permit? Is this permit the same as one you would get for a handgun? :o

12. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Consult a local attorney for legal advice...

I was just making the point that they aren’t illegal everywhere.

13. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

Eh I have no plans to buy an automatic, I have trouble spending over $100 on a knife :o

14. spyder007

spyder007 Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

I have one, but then again I can carry it. I hardly ever use it anymore, but I have it just in case :dunno:

15. Anders 7

Anders 7 I aim to misbehave OT Supporter

I don't see the big benefit to an auto opener. I personally would go for the same knife that is not an auto opener and save $40-$50.

16. Straight_Six

Straight_Six Guest

Reliability, or rather durability, would be more of an issue a ulitility knife.

I would think that auto-openers are intented more for self-defense, where the speed and ease at which the blade is deployed is critical. In the event you'd need to use a knife for defense, the click noise and motion of an auto-opener is pretty intimidating too - perhaps you could avoid any conlfict altogether :dunno:

17. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Agreed. I can open my Vapor II just as fast with no extra parts that could fail and only 25 bucks.