Cerberus Considers Discontinuing the Dodge Viper

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by TriShield, Feb 8, 2008.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Jalopnik and Autoblog say Viper will be discontinued

[​IMG]

According to Jalopnik, yes. We reported yesterday that as a part of Project Genesis, Chrysler was planning to cut more models in addition to the PT Cruiser Convertible, Pacifica, Crossfire and Magnum. Jalopnik is reporting that, according to several of its sources, the decision has already been made that the Dodge Viper SRT10 will be cancelled, as well. The decision was reportedly made after Cerberus took control of Chrysler and was not part of the automaker's future product plans prior to its split with Daimler.

While the current 2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 just received an update for 2008 that includes a new version of its iconic V10 engine capable of producing 600 horsepower and a track-ready ACR model, it was only ever meant to be on the market for another two years until the fully redesigned next-gen Viper bowed. Since that's reportedly not going to happen, the Viper will reportedly be sold as is through the 2011 model year.

The Viper has never been a cheap car to build, being assembled by hand at the automaker's Connor Avenue Assembly Plant. The obvious argument for killing the halo car is that money spent on developing the next-generation Viper could go towards better interiors and more appealing designs for bread and butter models, the sales of which keep the lights on at the company's Auburn Hills, MI headquarters. The Viper, however, has always been more than just a halo car for Chrysler, it's been a symbol of what the company can do when it's firing on all cylinders. If this report is true, to see it cancelled indicates just how lean these times really are for Chrysler under its new management.

[Source: Jalopnik]

2. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

Bad idea, IMO.

3. Bugalu

Bugalu OT Supporter

VERY bad idea.

4. Sirius

Sirius OT Supporter

I loved the viper, I'd add a blue/white GTS to my collection if I ever win the lottery.
    Thats a shame however, at this point, even I'd (i used to sackride vipers>Vettes) buy a C6 Z06 over a viper. :-(

5. kumar_a

kumar_a Well-Known Member

^ why?

Ive got a C6Z06 and my friend just bought a 08 Viper. Id rather have the Viper if it werent a daily car.

6. Sirius

Sirius OT Supporter

Alright, if I won the lottery and actually had a collection of cars, I would have both.

If I had to chose one, it would probably be the Z06

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If I had the choice of living in a world with the Viper vs. the Ford GT, I'd live in a world with the Ford GT. If I can't have that, then I suppose I can always be an ass and say nobody else can have what they want either.

Pity I'm not the king, though.

8. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

but its worth noting for ENTIRELY different reasons.

9. you know me

you know me OT where the douchbags play

once again vette > *

10. Possum Stomper

Possum Stomper The Great Bird of the Galaxy

vipers are badass, such a no bullshit car
    no traction control, no yaw control, no dynamicstabilinonsense, no gimmicks - everything you need, nothing you don't

unlike the vette...

it will be a sad day if they bite the dust

11. Fabian

Fabian Active Member

:hsugh: :hsugh: :hsugh:

Vette > Viper

12. Possum Stomper

Possum Stomper The Great Bird of the Galaxy

not saying corvettes aren't awesome, just too many electrical nannies and gimmicks for my taste

13. unknown81

unknown81 New Member

i read an article somewhere, several years ago, about how the viper was supposed to be discontinued in 2007... i'm glad thats not the case, the viper has been my ultimate dream car since i was a little child. but i guess they need to make room for the new Challenger...

14. Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers OT Supporter

Not that I'd ever own a Viper, but they've got the presence that Vettes will never have. It'll be a shame if they go.

15. deusexaethera

Goes without saying. That's why all the Viper fanboys hate on it. The Corvette is the only American sports car that matters, and chances are it always will be.

Let's hear it for having a design team that answers to nobody and has their own budget.

16. Fabian

Fabian Active Member

They wont be around to hear shit. Thats the problem :/

17. dr.zed

dr.zed DR.ZED OT Supporter

I have driven and spend many hours instructing and driving in Vipers. Everything from 92 to 06. The vehicle is the worst ergonomic vehicle you can imagine. It belongs on a large, fast track. Negotiating around the city, even taking it for a small cruise is an exercise in futility.

I can honestly say that it was probably one of the most uncomfortable vehicles I've ridden in. Granted you get ALL the look and you are king shit no matter where you go, but simply a cool car like that begs to be taken out for cruises. It simply is not a drivers car.

Also on earlier generations I stopped after a few laps at Shannonville because the clutch, brake and gas is so close together it is very easy to stab one and not the other.

The 05+ is one of the best of these variations, and the ACR is a far better version that the regular Vipers but again... I'd rather drive a dump truck to the track.

18. Fabian

Fabian Active Member

A local guy just sold his ragtop SRT10. He said it was like a fucking oven in that thing, had no options or creature comforts. Looked cool and all but he got sick of it fast.

19. deusexaethera

Hmm...dump truck racing...

The Euros actually have something similar. IVECO sponsors tractor-trailer races (no trailers though, sorry kids) throughout most of Europe. Great fun, they are.

20. Omega

Omega Guest

21. dr.zed

dr.zed DR.ZED OT Supporter

I remember seeing a video (think I have it actually somewhere) of one of these diesel race trucks doing a MASSIVE... I mean MASSIVE burnout.

22. Rikus

Rikus New Member

I've always loved the Viper, but the one thing that could always keep me away from one is the sound. I know the V10 is a badass motor, but I just love the sound of a V8 so much more. A V10 sounds more like a damn import than American muscle imo.

23. you know me

you know me OT where the douchbags play

that has to do with the firing order

24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

werd

25. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

werd