centrino processors, good or no?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by lowfat, Nov 20, 2003.

1. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

I am going to be buying a laptop probably in feburary or around then. And I was wondering if the centrino is worth the price, and the lack of speed? I have heard that the battery is suppose to last a lot longer with a centrino processor, but thats all i have heard about it, is there any other advantanges? I will be using this mostly for school, but i'd like to be able to play some desent games on it as well. Would it just be a better idea to get a regular processor, and another battery instead?

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I prefer longer life for my laptop. Going from a P4 1.5 to a 2.4 made little difference in my work computer (desktop). RAM made a difference, HD made a difference - processor speed - nada.

3. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Most laptops that have a centrino in them will give you about 5 hours of battery life, which is huge for most laptops. The centrino makes up for the lack of clock speed with extra cache on the chip, 2mb vs 512k fo most P4 chips. I have yet to meet someone who isn't impressed with the centrino. The centrino 2 line is due out end of this year or early next year, offering a 533mhz frontside bus over the current 400, sata hard drive support and ddr2 support, all of which will offer huge speed increases.

4. lowfat

k thats some good info, anyone else?

5. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

:nono: The Pentium M processors may have lower clock speeds, but they are more efficient and have a larger cache. It's been forever since I've read anything about them, but I think the 1.6 M is more or less equivalent to the Pentium4-M 2.4GHz

6. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

You beat me to it. I've read that the 1.6 Centrino is roughly equivalent to a P4 3.0 :eek: They are *awesome* chips in my humble opinion. They are what the P4 desktop chips could and should be...

7. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

I have a 1.3ghz centrino in a dell 600m. Got it when they were giving away a 2nd bat for free. When both are runing this thing lasts nearly 8 hours. I love it.

8. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

The Centrino is basically a slower clock rate because its more or less comparable to what AMD's Ahtlon is. It uses less cylces per instruction set and less pipelines so that there isn't any useless processing going on. Its a great processor and I'd recommend it in a notebook. Awesome battery life, plus great performance.

9. lowfat

the centrino sounds awesome then. I think that's what i'll be getting in febuary. thanks for the info.

10. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

pentium M = good

if you can get it without centrino then great

11. NauticaX

NauticaX OT Supporter

I'm about to purchase 2 laptops and I am trying to make sure they are both Centrinos.. great notebooks :) Don't think the low cpu speed will be slow. Those processors haul ass!

12. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

i'd go for a Centrino. My P4-M gets a somewhat lackluster 2.5 hours max to a charge. Buddy with a Cent nudges up on 6 hours doing the same DVD, processing, WiFi surfing as i do.

13. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

Yeah, my P4-M gets 2-2.5

It's not fair :wtc: