Centre Channel setup... ***PIC***

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 2000GT, Mar 11, 2005.

1. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

I am fairly new to AV in general. I wanted my system to be a system I can take with me anywhere and not hav to upgrade too much, so I went with fairly nice pieces for future use.

I have recently purchased the centre channel to match my tower speakers, mordaunt short 908 towers and the 905 centre.

Due to the room setup I am unsure of where to put my centre:
    [​IMG]

RED: Tower speakers on swivel so I can aim them anywhere
    YELLOW: LCD TV that can be swivelled in any direction in the room
    BLUE: An AV cabinet that stretches the width of the wall and is low to the ground.

The pic is taken from the couch. Also the pic is old. ALL the wires have been hidden and the room looks great now.

The problem now lies in puttin the centre channel somewhere. I would like to put it on a swivel maybe where the AV cabinet is (above it) however, being that the box is 20 inches wide it would have to sit far from the wall in order for it to turn very much. What about a wireless connection and mounting the centre on a ceiling swivel? or a stand to put in the middle of the room which can be moved when watching movies? Is there such thing?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    thank you.

2. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

That's a really strange setup. It's hard for me to see how you actually watch TV from the couch where it is. Do you rotate your head to an angle when viewing or something? I guess I don't have much advice since your TV is at such an awkward angle, I've never seen a setup like yours before. I guess a movable stand that can swing out into the middle of the room would be best. But, then again your voices will now appear to be coming from a blank space to the left of the TV, kind of defeating the purpose of a center channel. So, midpost, I have changed my mind and would put it on your AV cabinet angled towards the seating position to make the staging as correct as it is can be with that arrangement.

Is that really the best setup you can have in your house/apartment?

3. johnson

johnson New Member

I think he has some kind of swivel attachment on back of the TV so it can flip out 90* from the wall so he can either watch it from the living room or the kitchen. At least thats what I got out of it when he said the speakers can be aimed 180* in either direction.

Can you make some kind of bracket so it sits on top of the TV? Or hang it on a swivel on the ceiling near the light fixture.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2005
  4. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

Appreciate the quick response.
    It looks like an awkard angle but the tv is able to extend very far and turn 180 degrees. It works very well for its intended purpose.
    However, I am not sure what to do about the centre channel. You bring to the table some important points. I dont want it to sound like the dialogue is coming from some completely arbitrary area, however, what else can I do. I would rather is come from the middle while the tv is on the wall, then no where at all.

5. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

you are correct.

the tv bracket cannot hold anymore weight than the tv. it is maxed.
    however mounting on the ceiling was my next thought, though, having the dialoge coming out from the celing would be weird no?

Is there some sort of wireless connect I could get, cause I dont think I could do that kind of wiring myself?

6. johnson

johnson New Member

How often do you pull out the speakers? If not that often then you can screw two hooks in the ceiling so it is right above (or under) the TV. For the center channel, let it suspend from the ceiling by two small chains connected to the hooks. It sounds like a hassle but all you would need to do each time is bring out the center channel and connect the speaker wire to it.

Just a brainstorm.
    [​IMG]

7. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

Nice work dude. Thats sort of what I had in mind too. I was thinking of even permanently suspending it with a swivel up there, but your solution seems like it would be better as it allows the centre to sit lower down.

hummm, will have to do a little thinking about this one.

thanks for your input!!

8. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

If your TV does swing out that far into the room, then I would actually permanantly mount it to the ceiling at a downward angle aiming at the head of the person in the best seating position. I think it would look cosmetically better this way, assuming the wires run into the ceiling, rather than chains which would be kind of tacky and would require much more jerry rigging.

9. johnson

johnson New Member

To hide the wires, you can leave it velcro'd to the back of the TV when not in use. If the center channel has banana plugs in the back it makes it all the more easier. This way your wires stay bundled up the with the TV wires.

10. LuinHaden

LuinHaden Guest

Thats perfect!!

Im going to try that out.... all I need is the Thin ass Plasma TV. :) My 32" tube tv would look weird hanging like that. :)

11. johnson

johnson New Member

you got a tube tv hanging on the wall like that? :dunno: