Cell Phone Reception Booster?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jsiu, Sep 26, 2004.

1. jsiu

jsiu New Member

My reception at my new apartment sucks ass. Anyone know if a reception booster exists? I searched online, but I got some results that I don't entirely trust (products that are "As Seen on TV"). We don't have a telephone line at the apartment nor do my roommate and I plan to get one, so that's not really an option. If it matters, I'm on a Cingular plan and am using a Sony Ericsson (don't recall the model).

I also posted this in the Off Topic forum since I didn't realize there was a cell phone forum.

2. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

honestly i'd try a different phone. sony ericsson are notorious for not picking up a strong signal. other than that you could buy an external antenna that plugs into the back of your phone but it doesnt help out too much. 10dbM which is about a bar difference

3. jsiu

jsiu New Member

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll get a new phone when my current plan expires. Know of any brands or phone models that you can recommend that generally have good reception?

4. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

i'd check out the nokia 6200. its a workhorse when it comes to picking up signals

5. zennoodle

zennoodle ...hmm must've misplaced my socks

If you are using a Sony Ericsson T616, it might have older firmware on it and an update would help it quite a bit. As for SE and their bad rep for signal, the best models I have used are the T616, T637, K700i, S700i and the P900. I can have 1 bar and make calls in underground parking lots without a problem, something which no nokia I have used could ever do. The way that SE displays reception is more real time and shows rf integrity as it constantly changes. Even though nokia is known for strong reception, try going underground and using the phone, I doubt it'll pick up very well. The Nokias I have had best reception with are the series 60 ones like the 3650, 6600, 7610, etc.

6. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

FWIW, when i took the battery cover off of my new T637 the other day, i noticed the inside of the battery cover is coated with what appears to be some kind of gold metallic coating. don't know if that actually makes any difference with the reception, but i figure it must be there for a reason. :dunno: