Cell Phone Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jazzmine, Oct 13, 2003.

1. jazzmine

jazzmine Let the rivers fill, let the hills rejoice

I have a Cingular phone but I hate the dam thing.
    The service is good but the phone sucks.
    My contract doesn't end for another year, so I just want another phone.

Getting a replacement through Cingular sucks cause I have to pay full price for the phone.

If I buy a Cingular phone on Ebay, does Cingular change my service to the new phone for free or cheap?

2. FLY-FAST

FLY-FAST OT Supporter

Nope, all you need to do is call Cingular with the ESN(electronic serial number) on the back of the phone, and do an "ESN Change" - this will also require you to reprogram the phone, but they can either walk you thought it over the phone, or have any Cingular location do it(free of charge).

3. deadshot13

deadshot13 New Member

Do you have a simm card in your current phone? If you do, just take it out and put it in the new phone. You don't have to notify Cingular with the esn to my knowledge. Just have to make sure the phone is "unlocked" so it can use your simm card or you're limited to a Cingular based phone.

4. DejaVooDoo

DejaVooDoo *Jojo*

If you do decide to go this route...which I am not reccomending since I work for a carrier, not Cingular...make sure you call Lockline/Locton insurance if you have insurance on your phone. Say you have Cingulars C331T, and you replace it with the V60T (which is a much better phone)...and you don't call the new phone into the insurance company, when they go to replace your phone, they will have to send you out the C331T, since they really have no proof of the upgrade since you didn't call it in. Unless Cingular will cooperate w/you and verify it, which I had a hard time doing. This is, of course, if you even have insurance in the first place. :wavey:

5. chad2261

chad2261 New Member

word of caution, depending on where you live Cingular offers 2 different services, TDMA and GSM. Make sure that if you live in a TDMA coverage area you buy a TDMA phone, and if you live in a GSM area you get a GSM phone. If your current phone has a sim card, then you are in a GSM area, typically on the East or West coast. If you are in the Midwest, then you are most likely using TDMA. If you want to make sure, just call Cingular or go to a Cingular store and ask.

Before purchasing, make sure to do a LOT of research on the phone you are looking at--manufacturer web sites are usually very helpfull, also check out www.phonescoop.com. This will help ensure that you don't get the wrong kind of phone for your area. I have accidentally done this and it sucks.

6. jazzmine

jazzmine Let the rivers fill, let the hills rejoice

:kiss:
    thanx all

I bought a new Samsung S307 for $215 on ebay & a Sim card for $15 online and took it to the Cingular store and they changed my plan from the Digital to the GSM plan...wooohoo...that was easy.
    :bigthumb:

7. mrdeucie

mrdeucie Member

There is nothing wrong with getting a phone that is not supported by your provider. You just won't get any support on it. If he does have insurance, I don't see why the insurance company wouldn't insure his new phone if he were to get one. All he would have to do is call in and tell them he changed phones and to insure the new one and not the old one.