cell phone question?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Snuffit, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Snuffit

Snuffit still have alot of learning to do

Alrighty...heres the problem...a few days ago my girlfriend (and i, but it was for her) got a nokia 3360 cell phone from best buy. Heres the problem, she uses Alltel for her cell phone plan (shes got a plan already and wanted to upgrade phones) apparently AT&T (the phone was made for them) only has some tdma or something system...alltel uses another type of system (dont remember its name). now for the question. Is it possible to switch this phone to the other (alltel) system? and if it is. how in the world do i do it? Thanks for any help
    Snuffit

2. mrdeucie

mrdeucie Member

AT&T and Cingular uses TDMA, Verizon uses CDMA, and Voicestream uses GSM. I'm pretty sure there is no way to switch it as they are all different technologies. You should find out which technology Alltel uses and buy a phone for that technology.

3. Snuffit

Snuffit still have alot of learning to do

alltel uses cdma too...which sucks...and yeah there isnt any way to switch the phone over to cdma :( but thats ok. a friend wants to buy the phone now cause we have it totaly unlocked so it can work on other tdma networks other then AT&T. Thanks for your help. (happen to know if the tri mode startacs are any good?)
    Snuffit

4. mrdeucie

mrdeucie Member

I personally don't like motorolas because the battery life on them is usually horrible. If you want to get a startac just make sure you get one that is compatible with your system as the startac was made with TDMA and CDMA technology. Just make sure you get the right one.

5. Metal

Metal Active Member

Any Sprint phone will also give you CDMA.

6. Melisande

Melisande Guest

Beware... you can't always move phones between carriers, even if they use the same technology. Verizon also uses CDMA, and you can't use their phones on Sprint (and vice versa). If you're new to the cellular world, you're best off buying your phone from your carrier.

For more cellular info, check out howardforums.com (I'm a moderator over there).

7. mrdeucie

mrdeucie Member

I'm just spewing bad information everywhere.

8. Metal

Metal Active Member