Cell Phone Noob...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Sirian, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Sirian

Sirian New Member

Alright, I am looking to start a new contract somewhere and get in on one of their phone deals. Verizon and Cingular are the two I am most leaning to, and the plans are pretty much identical in price and features. What I am confused about is which service has the better phones?

What I am looking for in a phone is pretty simple:

Camera with decent quality

Compact enough to fit in a pocket without much trouble

Durable (not breaking easily like the RAZR sometimes does)

And most importantly... I want to be able to make my own ringtones with MP3s I have on my computer and assign them to different caller groups. I don't want to put up with bullshit of downloading ringtones of just the top 40 like most places seems to offer. I want the easiest way to hook my phone up to the computer and transfer ringtones I make to the phone and use them without any bullshit barriers like Verizon seems to put up.

Any help or advice?

2. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

I'd reccomend cingular, mostly because its a lot easier to change phones if you get bored of your current one. (as long as Cingular gets good service where you live)

I don't know about a specific phone though, I'd reccomend going to www.howardforums.com and looking arround, there is a section for "What kind of phone should I get" questions and if you copied that entire thing to a thread, you'd get a few good responses within a day.

3. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

Oh, and are you looking to buy a phone on contract? Might want to look into the D807, can be had for fairly cheap on contract from Cingular I think, I'd reccomnd going into store and haggleing a bit (they can give deals) and then writing down the prices, and then calling the cingular help over the phone, they often have different deals there.

4. pyehac

pyehac if she's old enough to cross the street, she's old

Another vote for Cingular (although I'm a Tmobile user). Motorolas are usually the easiest phones to mod (especially the vXXX series), so I'd suggest you start there.

5. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

Motorolas=shit

Hopefully Sony Ericsson's Walkman phone, the w810i, will be released through Cingular soon. If you need something now, look into the D807 or the Cu500