Celica + iPod

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bolicious, May 26, 2005.

1. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

I have made a tiny temporary mod to the Celica recently. The reason I say temporary is because I am in the process of putting the Celica back to stock so I can get a Dodge Charger this fall. Why invest more money in the Celica? I did this is because I can take this mod with me to my next car. It is basically a connector that lets you play your iPod through your stock car head unit. For just under $200 shipped, I was shipped a box with a seperate harness that plugged into my headunit. This adapter can replaced with other car model harnesses based on what vehicle it is in. Which means, this fall, I can get the adapter for the Dodge Charger.

The entire install was a breeze and took maybe 15 minutes. Every just plugs right in and no cutting or anything special is required. The end result is fantastic CD quality sound (Depends on the quality of the original music files of course) that can be controlled completely from the headunit. Volume, track selection, navigation... everything is now controlled using the CD changer controls on the head unit. There's no need of adjust anything like volume levels on the iPod to sound right on the stereo (like the iTrip). I still keep the iPod out so I can see what songs are playing and for faster navigation on file browsing. Another thing I love besides how good it sounds, is how good it looks. It's now only a thin cord that plugs into the bottom of the iPod. No extra charger to hit your hand on when shifting gears, nothing clamped onto the top of the iPod, and nothing bulky in site at all. Hell, the wire that they provide that leads to the iPod itself is over 6 feet long which gives anyone looking to do custom mounting a lot of choices. Many will choose to run the wiring to the glove box a la BMW. I just keep mine in my cup holder until I get the time to make an aluminum holder for it that will mount to the console.

I actually played the iTrip and then immediately plugged in the car connector to hear the difference. Holy crap. The difference is huge. I really expected only a slight bump, but it is night and day. The main reason is that most in car units like iTrip use the headphone jack. This adapter plugs into the bottom of the iPod and recieves it's 100% digital signal directly. Basically, it's the best sound that you will get out of an iPod.

www.mp3yourcar.com is where I got the unit and if you are like me and don't have a use for CDs since buying your iPod, I highly suggest getting this adapter.

[​IMG]

2. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

cool. thanks. haven't seen that one and the other kits like it don't make an adapter for my car yet.

hmmm...

downpipe or neo? :noes:

3. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

I just made a holder for the iPod today out of a sheet of aluminum. It's going to look so damn clean when it's finished.

4. maczter

...and you will, of course, be posting pics as soon as it's finished? :)

5. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Would you expect anything less? :bigok:

6. maczter

not from you. :)

7. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

i've thought long and hard about doing that but couldn't come to justify the $200. Especially since im thinking of selling my car within the next year.

8. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Update pics... I made a holder for the iPod out of a sheet of aluminum and covered it in the same suede the rest of my interior is covered in. The iPod fits like a glove and holder just comes right out if need be, but is in there so damn tight that it's not going anywhere.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2005
  9. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

You can take it to your next car and use it there as well. All you'll have to do is order the harness adapter for that particular car to fit the NEO. That's what I'm doing this fall when I get the Dodge Charger.

10. samm

samm Next in Line

I'd like to get one of those for my wife's car (2005 Altima) but I can't find one that will work.

11. Rick

Rick New Member

I'm waiting for Audi to release their iPod adapter.

12. maczter

clever. :bigthumb: