GUN Celebratory Bullet Kills 4-Year-Old Boy In Church

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by thegooch, Jan 2, 2010.

1. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

Decatur, Georgia=not surprising

Celebratory Bullet Kills 4-Year-Old Boy In Church

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/22105604/detail.html

DECATUR, Ga. -- A 4-year-old boy was killed by a falling bullet from celebratory gunfire while attending a New Year’s Eve church service in Decatur.

It happened at the Church of God of Prophecy in the 3300 block of Covington Drive in Decatur.

DeKalb police spokesman Jason Gagnon said it appears the bullet came through the church’s roof and struck the child in the head.

"It's so hard ... he was my only child," said Nathalee Peters, the child's mother.

She told Channel 2 Action News reporter Tony Thomas that her family was waiting for a concert to begin at the church when her son, Marquel Peters, 4, was struck by the bullet. It happened just twenty minutes into the new year.

"I saw the game fell on the floor, and I heard a sound and I heard him scream a little bit and I looked around and all I saw was blood coming from his head," said Nathalee Peters.

Family and friends are now making a plea for anyone with information to come forward. The area surrounding the church is full of houses and an apartment complex.

"They may have just gone out, fired a few gunshots into the air celebrating the new year having a good time and gone back to their family not knowing what happened, but a little boy is lying in a morgue today," said Pastor Lloyd Phipps

2. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

:hsugh: Don't bullets falling back to earth come down at terminal velocity? :hsugh:

3. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Yea assuming its a straight 90degerees into the air and than goes all the way up tell it has no energy than falls back down

4. Anders 7

Anders 7 I aim to misbehave OT Supporter

5. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

That sucks. :-/

6. GlassUser

GlassUser send an email not a pm OT Supporter

7. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I honestly don't know if I believe this story.......

8. Styk

Styk Active Member

This sounds like bullshit. Even if it was shot at a lower angle than 90* it would lose a ton of velocity and to be able to go through a roof and then kill someone sounds like bullshit..

9. GlassUser

smells like bullshit
    http://www.loadammo.com/Topics/March01.htm

http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2006/04/episode_50_bullets_fired_up_vo.html

10. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

to you naysayers, what world do you people live in that a 4yr old has the same strength skull as an adult? there are some bones in your skull that don't ossify within the few months after birth.

11. GlassUser

I'd guess that a church roof is a little stronger than a human's skull.

12. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

honestly, i wouldn't.

hypothetically speaking, if it didn't hit any support, what's there to stop it, 1/2" plywood, tar paper, a layer of shingles and some insulation in the crawl space?

that church doesn't look like its built any differently than a crappy house:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&s...of prophecy decatur&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

and while wikipedia isn't a legit source IMO, this is what's in their "celebratory gunfire" article regarding the mythbusters episode i have not seen:

13. Mikael

Mikael OT Supporter

why is a 4yr old out at 12:30am?

14. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

Not surprising given the location

15. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

damn. god works in mysterious ways i guess.

16. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Yeah, had to read that a couple times. I'm guessing he might have been holding a game of some kind (think psp) which she saw fall from his hands, he screamed, etc.

Sucks and I know its possible. Does seem weird that there would be still enough power after going through a roof to still kill, but who knows.

First way I read this title though was celebrity and I was thinking who the Hollywood or sports player asshat was that shot a kid.

17. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

half an inch of OSB, supporting structure(even if it doesn't hit it it provides rigidity), and the other crap should collectively be harder than a human skull. But considering the impossibility of the bullet of the bullet not remaining at a ballistic trajectory the chance of the round punching through a roof and maintaining a decent amount of energy is probable.

18. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

Boy most likely shot by a rifle fired into the air

By Rhonda Cook

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

12:12 p.m. Saturday, January 2, 2010 The 4-year-old boy shot and killed while in church, apparently by New Year’s Eve revelers, most likely was hit by a bullet fired from a rifle, said a firearms expert Saturday.

“I would suspect this was a rifle. An AK-47. That’s the most prolific [weapon found] downtown,” said Kelly Fite, who was the top ballistics expert with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation’s state Crime Lab for almost four decades.

The circumstances that led to young Marquel Peters’ death are not uncommon on New Year’s Eve.

“It’s not impossible at all” for a bullet to travel some distance then pass through a roof and kill someone inside a building, Fite said.

“This is New Year’s Eve and people are out shooting their guns,” Fite said.

The boy, playing with a video game, and his mother were waiting for a 12:30 a.m. concert to begin at Church of God of Prophecy near Decatur when Marquel was shot in the head by a stray bullet. Marquel was on the floor, crying and bleeding, when medics arrived, but he died later at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at Egleston.

The child’s family has called for the person who fired the shot to come forward, but Fite said it’s unlikely that person even knows what happened. And police are unlikely to find the shooter unless the bullet is traced to a gun recovered in another investigation, Fite said.

The shooter could have been as much as two to three miles away, Fite told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. But most likely, the shooter was about a half mile away and the gun was tilted at about 30 or 40 degrees, not straight up, he said.

“This bullet that hit this kid was not shot straight up because it would have come down near the shooter,” Fite said.

Investigators discovered Friday the bullet had passed through the roof of the church.

It’s not uncommon – though illegal –– for guns to be fired to mark the start of a new year.

–– In 2005, stray bullets hit two people at different locations in downtown Atlanta on New Year's Eve. Aimee Buff from Hampton and her fiance were celebrating her 27th birthday at Underground Atlanta's Peach Drop when she was wounded. A bullet hit Buff in the ear and became lodged about two inches from her spine.

–– A few blocks away, Merritt Tidwell, a University of Georgia freshman from Douglasville, was struck below her right knee by a bullet that pierced the roof of the Georgia Dome, where she was watching the the 2005 Peach Bowl .

–– In 2004, 86-year-old Dorothy Young of Atlanta was wounded in the arm as she was leaving a New Year's Eve church service in Bankhead.

–– A fan at the 2001 Peach Bowl was grazed by a stray bullet that came through the roof of the Georgia Dome.

–– In 2000, Crystal Garrett, a college student from Easley, S.C., was hit by a stray bullet moments after she watched the Peach Drop at Underground Atlanta.

And in the summer of 1996, a National Guardsman providing security for the Olympics was hit in the chest by a bullet believed to have been fired from an AK-47 into the air. Sgt. Thomas Bentley, 43, of Monroe, was among three standing guard on the Georgia Tech when he was wounded.

19. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

who the hell has news year eve church service :wtf:

20. GlassUser

Lots of churches. It's a great way to spend the time with your friends without a bunch of people getting drunk and stupid.

21. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

seems like they are missing the idea

22. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

Churching?

23. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

its a tradition in most black chruches to be in church on new years.

24. BLH

BLH Member

Just because someone is in a church or church owned building doesn't mean that a service is going on. One of the churches by home even has a full sized basketball court attached.

25. GlassUser

It's not like a church service, it's usually a family friendly party.